Grande Prix | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

rockbottom.com

Style: Kölsch

Added by shbobdb on 07-13-2006

2.91/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Now, I lived in Cologne, so it was a big step for me not to call this beer an American Blonde . . . after all, it wasn't brewed within sight of the Dom.

Beer-duschbaggery aside, this is a mediocre example of the style. I'd always thought that the citrus notes in the downtown Indy Rock Bottom were from the Brewmaster's secret love of PNW hops, subtly sneaking them into otherwise english-style brews. However, now I'm thinking that it was the house yeast.

The beer tasted like it was a niiice 70% pils, 30% munich (total ballpark, if I were to clonebrew it, that'd be the mix I'd use) and it was a delicious honey. It's the damned citrus . . . first off, the does not mingle well with the earthy noble hops in the nose and more importantly, it totally destroys the finish on this beer. A good Koelsch should finish clean, but this has the awkward finish of a bad APA.

Not good.