Black Belgian Ale | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

rockbottom.com

Style: Belgian Dark Ale

Added by BuckeyeNation on 05-07-2007

4.42/5  rDev 0%

Impenetrable mahogany with a sliver of dark bronze along the bottom edge of the pint glass. The toasted ecru cap was one finger to start and fell to a thin film by the time I reached a bar table. The solid sheet of lace that graced the glass initially became tattered over time, as if raked by the claws of a pissed-off jaguar.

The nose was pure heaven... if you like anise. Black Belgian's chalkboard description was something along the lines of 'a spiced dark ale made with anise, coriander, black and roasted malts and Belgian yeast'. Although coriander and yeast were tough to appreciate, the aroma didn't suffer for it.

My first mouthful told me that this beer is one of my top three Rock Bottom ales of all-time. It tasted like the beer equivalent of Black Jack Taffy, something that I used to eat all the time as a kid (and that's still available on the internet). I've always thought that anise and black licorice taste slight different, but I love them both so it doesn't really matter.

The biggest reason why Black Belgian is such fantastic beer is that the anise was generous without completely overwhelming the roasted chocolate maltiness of the base beer. I thought I could taste a hint of coriander, but couldn't be sure. As far as being able to appreciate the Belgian yeast, fuggedaboutit! This is, for all intents and purposes, an anise porter or even an anise stout. And a damn good one.

The mouthfeel was light-medium right out of the chute, coming together nicely by the bottom of the pint to finish 'porter medium'. It was also incredibly smooth (and perfectly carbonated) without quite making it all the way to creamy.

I hate to keep wishing for what isn't possible, but I just can't help myself. If Iowa's cap was twice what it currently is (6.25%), I would love for wdmrock to dump a ton of roasted malt and dark candy sugar into this sucker and create an anise-intensive BSDA called Belgian Double Black. That beer is probably a pipe dream, while this one is a dream come true.

Black Belgian Ale from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery