Goldings Red | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
United States
rockbottom.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by BuckeyeNation on 06-05-2007

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1
3.75/5  rDev 0%

Opaque 'iced tea' tawny with orange and amber highlights at the margins. The fairly violent extrusion from the cask created an attractive, golden ecru cap that peeked over the top of the mug. Better than average persistence was accompanied by an average amount of scattered lace.

The aroma was considerably more aromatic than expected, leading me to believe that this particular offering was dry-hopped. Strangely enough, Goldings Red didn't smell much like East Kent Goldings to me (I might have to reset my EKG 'scent memory'). An orange and pineapple fruitiness dominated.

I went back and forth on the flavor score several times. My final decision reflects the fact that Goldings Red would be a better beer if it contained more malt and/or more hops. Having said that, I'm sure it was designed to be a warm weather thirst quencher. Given that target, it's an unqualified success.

Malt provided a sweetened tea flavor (what you see is what you get), along with a modest toasted breadiness. Hops provided a balancing amount of the same fruit flavors found in the nose. In some ways I was reminded of an English pale ale or a (less than fully bitter) ESB. Maybe it was the hops that gave the beer a U.K. vibe.

The mouthfeel was oh so close to praiseworthy. I hate to penalize an easy drinking summer beer for being too light, but this one needed more heft. As far as I'm concerned, all brewpub session ales should be cask-conditioned. The softness makes drinking large quantities a cinch.

Goldings Red quenched my 'yardwork followed by nine holes of golf' thirst in a big way. I've tried hard not to let that unduly influence the scores. In the end, more ingredients would have put this summer weight red ale over the top with ease.

Goldings Red from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery