Cascade IPA | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
United States
rockbottom.com

Style: American IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by BuckeyeNation on 07-14-2007

4.14/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Unsullied apricot capped by one finger of vanilla ice cream colored foam... except the texture of the head wasn't creamy in the least, didn't look any better than merely okay at any point in its lifespan and didn't leave more than a few scraps of lace.

The aroma was pure Cascade hop goodness. I had to get my nose pretty close to appreciate it, but it was well worth the effort. I was reminded how tropical fruity this particular hop can be at times, how pineapple-like. Could it possibly measure up on the palate?

Not quite. The biggest reason why was that this IPA seemed more like a pale ale. There was plenty of hop flavor, with a relative shortage of hop bitterness and pale malt support. That, to me at least, equals APA. I'm thankful that there were no toasted or caramel notes to get in the way of the Cascade appreciation hour. Well... half hour anyway.

The flavor profile was pretty much 'all hops, all the time'. In addition to a surprising amount of pineapple, there was the usual white grapefruit (pink too, maybe) and lemon. Each mouthful resulted in a wonderful burst of citrusy flavor that didn't reach the peak I wanted and didn't last as long as I wanted. It sure was a cinch to drink though. Summer session beer all the way.

Again, the mouthfeel was clearly in APA territory. Although the soft cask carbonation didn't volumize it much, it did add to ease of drinkability. This beer is the perfect example of why I consider cask-conditioning to be a double-edged sword.

wdmrock's latest offering is a delicious single-hopped ale that was good on its own and was equally good with my lunch. I would love for it to appear on the Rock Bottom chalkboard on a regular basis, but I hope next time it's a hoppier, maltier beer. This Cascade IPA might have made it to Cape Town... but India? Not a chance.

Cascade IPA from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery