Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Special X Lager | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

rockbottom.com

Style: Dortmunder / Export Lager

Added by BuckeyeNation on 09-24-2007

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Brilliant, sparkling, lemon yellow when viewed with the brewpub's sun-drenched windows as a backdrop. Up top was an alabaster disk that dissipated over the first several minutes, leaving a lone blurry ring and multiple spatters of lace in its wake. The beer appeared bright and clean, much like the flavor profile.

The nose was reminiscent of fresh grain with a modest amount of spicy, musky hoppiness. The chalkboard description included the phrase 'mild noble German hops balanced by mineral malts'. It also informed any interested parties that this beer will be entered in the Pro-Am category of the upcoming GABF.

If I was king of the beer world, American macro lagers would taste exactly like Special X Lager. I defy anyone who drinks BMC to drink a pint of this beer and then tell me that it isn't superior in every way to what they usually imbibe. I'm convinced that X would be a huge seller if wdmrock made it a part of the regular lineup.

The flavor profile was made up of golden, sun-ripened cereal grains soaked in honey and flecked with lemon zest. The sweet-bitter balance was exquisite, even though I would have preferred more of a noble hop bite. In addition, there was a hint of Golden Delicious apple in the background. Have I used the word 'clean' yet? Let's add semi-crisp and delicious to the list.

The mouthfeel was medium in heft, possibly even medium-full for the style. I also liked the perfect amount of carbonation. It was nicely supportive and enlivening without imparting the least bit of buzziness.

I like the name just fine (a little mystery is always good), but an equally appropriate name would have included the word 'Gold'. Special X Lager looks golden, it smells golden and it tastes golden. Not only that, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it earns a gold medal at the GABF. Here's hoping.

Special X Lager from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery