Rye Porter | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
United States
rockbottom.com

Style: American Porter

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by BuckeyeNation on 09-25-2007

3.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Grizzly bear brown with a faint rim of lighter brown along the bottom edge of the mug. Good points about the appearance were the opacity of the beer and the persistence of the sudsy ecru cap. Although it fell to a thin wafer in no time at all, I was never able to see beer from a bird's eye view. The only bad point was a relative lack of lace.

The nose was definitely porterish, but it lacked power and presence. Chocolate was more noticeable than coffee, and rye wasn't appreciable at all. I didn't hold that against it, though, since it isn't often that rye beer is identifiable from the aroma alone.

From the first mouthful to the last, one thing was consistent: the finish was much better than the beginning or the middle. As the beer was leaving the mouth (and beyond), the dark flavor began to take hold and give the taste buds something to work with. Rye Porter was decent beer, but I can't say that it ever really grabbed me.

The usual American porter flavors of bittersweet chocolate and mild coffee were present, along with a zestiness that I might have attributed to hops if blinded. As the big mug and its contents warmed, the only real change was an increasing spiciness that made the porter taste true to its name. It wasn't enough, however, to tempt me into calling RP a rye beer.

I liked the sweet-bitter balance and the fact that bitter won handily at the wire. More boldness and more depth of flavor would have been nice. The mouthfeel was a tick shy of medium and the cask carbonation was laid back. More bubbles would have added more creaminess and more mouthfilling volume.

Rye Porter exited the glass fairly quickly, but then I was thirsty after a hard day at work. It just didn't have enough going for it to cause me to look forward to its next release. That's okay, there's almost always something delicious available at my local Rock Bottom.

Rye Porter from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery