Stowt | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

rockbottom.com

Style: American Stout

Added by BuckeyeNation on 01-22-2008

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Tootsie Roll brown capped by a fat one finger of golden brown sugar colored foam. Each mouthful was indicated by a delicate ring, connected one to the next by tattered curtains of lace.

One whiff was all it took to tell me that Stowt was going be tremendous beer. That didn't stop me from giving it at least a dozen deep sniffs (surrepticiously, of course). The nose was beautifully roasted and generously hopped... just like I like stouts to be.

Whereas it took me until at least the middle of the pint to decide if the aroma deserved the big score, it took me exactly one mouthful to decide that the flavor did. Some quality beer sneaks up on you and some demands to be recognized from the word 'go'. This offering was unquestionably one of the latter.

The depth of flavor was amazing for what is often a simple, straightforward style. I'm not sure if that was because four types of wheat were used or because three very distinctive types of hops were used. For the record: white malted wheat, red raw wheat, crystal wheat and roasted wheat. Roasted and/or chocolate barley malt, too, I'm sure.

As far as specifics: bittersweet chocolate, espresso, dark brown sugar, pumpernickel toast and a hint of anise. Again, the semi-sweet roasted maltiness dovetailed very nicely with an American citric hop bitterness (that wasn't 100% citric). The hop bill consists of Hallertau, Simcoe and Columbus. Those last two are two of my favorites.

The wheat didn't seem to have impacted the flavor nearly as much as it did the mouthfeel. This was probably the best mouthfeel beer that I've ever had at this establishment. It was medium in heft, with a glassy smooth silky softness and a creamy expansiveness that wasn't due *entirely* to a perfect amount of carbonation.

This simply (but memorably) named offering is anything but simple. It's the best brewpub stout that I've had in many a moon and should be a treat for malt lovers, hopheads and everyone in between. Here's hoping it's on-tap more than it's off-tap because Stowt is owtstanding beer!

Stowt from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery