Uberwit | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
United States

Style: Witbier

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by mentor on 05-23-2008

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 3
4.15/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is what I always imagined a wheat beer should taste like before I had ever had my first. Unfortunately, when I did have my first, I was disappointed and shred away from wheat beers for a long time (still wary today). But this is what I thought should have been the common denominator for a wheat with character and "sessionability." There's nothing spectacular in the profile, but the taste is clean, and the simple use of orange and coriander accents the wheat flavor just enough to let it shine.

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- very light the way a Wit beer should be.
S- Oranges & spices are stong on the nose
T- More on the Oranges & coriander with undernotes of malt/wheat
M- a very light & smooth
D- what a nice beer, they had just tapped this beer @ the brewery in Downtown Denver when I had it so it was very fresh.

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Bottle given to me as a reward for all my volunteer efforts with GABF in 2007. This bottle was left-over from the judging. Sediment stirred prior to opening the bottle.

Pours a strong finger of fine, but soda poppy head over a murky dark golden liquid. Smells sweet oranges and dry woody. Peppery zing, mild phenols (mostly clove), and fresh lemon zest. I'm not getting any coriander.

Tastes wet malty, but not sweet. Strong carbonation, moderate phenols, and a mild peppery cooperate to counter the malt. Earthy. Wheat is notable, like a dry flour. Has picked up some cardboard oxidation. Coriander is present as an undertone that shows most strongly during the swallow or in the immediate aftertaste. Quite dry finish with orange and lemony aftertaste. The carbonation is to style, but more than I'd like as it stings acrid on my papillae. Light sitting in the mouth, but medium body when moved around.

Uberwit from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery