Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bravo Pale | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

3.75/5
Very Good
1 Rating

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
United States
rockbottom.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BuckeyeNation on 06-19-2009

3.75/5  rDev 0%

Bumblebee yellowish gold with a loose cap of eggshell colored foam. Although the head shrank rapidly, beer was never visible from a bird's eye view. Thick, patchy, clingy lace became more impressive as more of the glass became available.

Dry-hopped APAs are the only way to go. The nose was bright and fresh, with candied lemon peel leading a parade that included an assortment of citrus fruits. I'm not familiar with Bravo hops, but they smell Anglo-American, with an accent on the New World (see more below).

Bravo Pale was a pretty good beer, it just wasn't a really good beer. I try not to wear my hophead hat all the time, but it seemed to me that this pale ale was missing a gear on the top end. A firmer, crisper lupulin bite would have earned it the next highest flavor score with ease.

What tasted like pretty close to 100% pale and/or pilsner malt stayed well out of the way. That's the way I prefer it for beer of this style, since it gives the hops a chance to shine. Speaking of which, they delivered flavors of lemon, grapefruit and orange, though not to the same extent as Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, et al. The citrusiness was tempered by a floral-herbal quality reminiscent of Fuggles or some other English variety.

The body/mouthfeel was more light than medium, made even more so by the soft, nearly nonexistent bubbles. Cask conditioning makes for quick and easy consumpition, but it's short on positive sensory input.

Bravo Pale is an offering that should sell very well since most RB patrons aren't hopheads. While I enjoyed my pint, it didn't come anywhere close to satiating the hop monkey that lives on my back. To be fair, nor was it designed to do so.

Bravo Pale from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery