Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by Stinkypuss on 07-06-2010

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 4
2.49/5  rDev -34.3%

Thin flavor, and the carbonation was beyond smooth to almost nonexistent. Nice color, but the head was easily 1/3 bigger than it should've been. Aroma was almost nonexistent. With a stout, I expect some mouthfeel, some texture, something that tells me I am drinking a beer. With this beer, I felt like I was drinking slightly-thickened water. Very pleasing flavor, but again I come back to the mouthfeel. Overall a smooth beer, very drinkable, but fans of proper stouts will be disappointed.

Recommendations: Boost the mouthfeel so I know I'm drinking a beer. I would imagine this would help with the aroma as well. Decrease the head just a little bit: It's thick and creamy enough, but there's too much of it.

3.91/5  rDev +3.2%

Looks: dark chocolate-brown with faint amber highlights. Not completely opaque; just a bit of light sneaks through the other side. A 1.5-finger head of cascading, khaki bubbles rests atop the brew and sticks around for just about forever.

Smells: lightly roasty. Peanuts, toast, mild bittersweet chocolate and whole milk.

Tastes: like a chocolate malt. Cocoa. Sweet cream, peanut oil and subtle coffee with a sweet, lightly tangy finish. The chocolate flavors have been reigned in nicely, and there's a great sense of control and balance here.

Feels: velvety. Light-bodied and moderately carbonated, but smooth about the mouth. This is nitro-tap done well.

Drinks: like a well-composed beer. I'm upset that Rock Bottom is so far from my house, but I'm glad I at least got the chance to come out and try this one. It paired surprisingly well with my mac and cheese.

4.01/5  rDev +5.8%

Ontap at the restaraunt. For whatever reason this took a while to pour, wonder if it was nitro tap..

Appearance: Dark almost black with a creamy tan head. Abundant lacing webbed and walls of tiny bubbles.

Smell: Roasted malts comprise most of the aroma.

Taste: Lightly roasted tones, faint bitterness. Light coffee. Some chocolate and lactic sweetness mix well. A fine dessert beer.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, creamy and smooth.

Drinkability: A solid milk stout and an excellent after dinner beer. Probably my favorite beer from this brewer.

Rock Bottom Udder Goodness Milk Stout from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.