Bourbon Barrel-Aged Coffee Oatmeal Stout | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
United States
rockbottom.com

Style: American Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by MasterSki on 04-15-2011

3.9

3/5  rDev 0%

4.12/5  rDev 0%

I decided to create a separate listing from this one - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1550/27053 - seeing as it's been 5½ years since that beer was made, and there's a new brewmaster. Plus the beer I had didn't seem very "Imperial".

In any case, sampled at Rock Bottom - Chicago on April 10th. Served in a tulip glass.

A - Served with a thin tan foam that settles thick collar and leaves behind splotchy lacing. Near-black body that displays some brown at the fringes.

S - Bourbon, vanilla, molasses, light oak, chocolate fudge, and coconut. Not much in the way of coffee, although there is an earthiness that might be a residual flavor - or it could be from the bourbon or barrel. Who knows? Alcohol is well-hidden.

T - Roasted and charred malts, oak, and a light whiskey finish. There are some faint notes of espresso as well. Not quite as interesting as the aroma, but still quite enjoyable.

M - It's a little thin, although it's hard to know whether its appropriate with an ABV. I'm guessing around 7%, but could be wrong. Texture is sticky, with a mouth-coating finish. Minimal barrel tannins are evident. Carbonation is medium and fairly neutral.

D - This was quite good. I stopped in at Rock Bottom mainly to get some lunch but was pleasantly surprised by this brew. I think I may need to swing by a little more often. Hopefully this, or a similarly good brew will be on-tap. I'd have had a second glass if I weren't in a hurry.

Bourbon Barrel-Aged Coffee Oatmeal Stout from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery