Chicago Terminal Oatmeal Bourbon Stout | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

rockbottom.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by EMV on 12-03-2011

5/5  rDev 0%

I had the exceptional luck to be in Chicago for a conference during the 1-2 weeks per year that Rock Bottom Brewery's Brewmaster makes his Chicago Terminal Oatmeal Bourbon Stout. It's an individual location beer, brewed onsite by their brewmaster and not available at other Rock Bottom locations. They only make 1-2 kegs per year, and it's an 'in-store' only special (no growlers or takeouts). When I asked for any recommendations for a strong/dark beer the barkeep brought me a sample and I just had to have a glass.

As for the beer itself... it's simply superb. It pours as a smooth black stout with generous white head. The first thing that hits you is the aroma. This really smells like bourbon, which makes sense since it's aged in Woodford Reserve casks. The mouthfeel is excellent, and the taste is incredibly complex and appealing. The bourbon adds a strong flavor, and I was surprised at how well it complemented the underlying stout making for an exceptionally drinkable beer. It goes down smooth (much smoother than any whiskey) and it definitely packs a punch at 11% alcohol (as per the barkeep). This is a beer to savor, and one of the most exceptional beers I've ever tasted. I'd consider going back again next year just for this beer, and my complements to the brewmaster. Superb.

Chicago Terminal Oatmeal Bourbon Stout from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery