Spout Run Porter | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

rockbottom.com

Style: American Porter

Added by Riggo on 01-23-2003

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

Appeared slightly viscous with an opaque, black color and a faint, rather weak looking, tan colored head. Not much lacing left behind in my pint glass. Low level of carbonation. Aromas of burnt toast, caramel, and dark chocolate. The taste followed the scent with a pronounced roasted flavor that proved to be rather deep and complex. A touch of expresso in the finish with lingering hops. Not very creamy or smooth as might be expected for this style, but easy to drink with the moderate ABV and nice flavors. I enjoyed this with some nachos.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

The appearance was a very dark brown. At first I thought the waiter had mistakenly given me the Ballston Brown Ale which I had just previously tried. The nose was very fruity, seemed to have a very mild body. Had a very creamy taste for a porter too, not a bad overall beer.

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had a dark cola color to the body and a thick pad of head that lasted. Lacing was described by a friend of mine as resembling "dried semen". Pretty good-looking overall. Nose was light and sweet. Taste had some toffee and coffee and a nice charcoally shot in the throat. Medium to light body seemed right for the style and was exceptionally creamy in the mouth. One of the few beers I tried at Rock Bottom that wasn't terribly thin. Still, I wouldn't order it again.

Reminded me of Ebisu's Black ALOT.

3.65/5  rDev 0%

Sampled on tap at my local Rock Bottom Brewery (Arlington, VA). I should say at the outset that the beer was served too cold for my tastes, especially for a porter. Appearance was a very dark brown with red highlights and a creamy tan head. The nose was fruity with roasted grains. On palate, piney hops followed by sweetness of roasted malt, brown sugar, and molasses. Though the sweetness and the hop dryness are there together, a true balance isn't necessarily achieved. These elements a little incongruous maybe. The sweetness seems to dominate too much. Still, a good quality beer.

Spout Run Porter from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery