Moa 5 Hop Ale Barrel Reserve | Moa Brewing Company

Moa Brewing Company
New Zealand (Aotearoa)
moabeer.co.nz

Style: English Strong Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by dgilks on 08-28-2010

2.59/5  rDev 0%

Earthy, dusty and just a little bit skunky I don't like the aroma here. I have a bit of a disdain for breweries that use green bottles and in this case it has led to poor outcomes.

A nice red colour with a large fluffy off-white head Nice lacing but just a little hazy.

Here we face the classic problem of skunking found in green bottles. I get a slightly skunked, slightly cardboardy bottle. Underneath the faults is a malty, pleasant beer with some nice vanilla notes from the barrel. I'm told they use a Chardonnay barrel and the fruitiness of the wine comes through.

Medium-full body with moderate carbonation. Okay.

This is an interesting beer and I like the concept. Unfortunately, the use of green bottles has led to skunking and there is some oxidation which is unpleasant.

Moa 5 Hop Ale Barrel Reserve from Moa Brewing Company