Belgian Abbey Ale | Maui Brewing Co.

3.47/5

Maui Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
mauibrewingco.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Now called Father Damien.

Added by atigerlife on 12-16-2005

3.8/5  rDev 0%

I tried this with dinner at the brewpub. It was served in what I think was a red wine glass, which was a nice showcase for the strong Belgian-style ale. It was dark reddish brown, almost translucent but not quite. Not too much foam, which isn't too surprising with the 9% alcohol but yet many Belgian strong ales manage to have good lasting bubbles.

The aroma and flavor definitely hinted at some Belgian yeast strain, but honestly the flavor was just OK. A little too robust I thought, but still a good stab at the style. The after-taste was a little bitter but not bad.

I don't recommend against this beer, but if you have one night at this brewpub I'd go for the coconut porter, the IPA, or the DIPA first.

3.13/5  rDev 0%

Made by Maui Brewing Company and sold at this wonderful brewpub. Ibu 25.
Served in a goblet, which was nice.

A nice dark amber with a slight reddish hue. Small head.
The aroma had the Belgian ale style, but some hints of herbs and hops that seemed out of place.
The taste was initially fine, but deteriorated as the it was consumed. Dark fruit [plums], sweet, malt. I couldn't place it, but the aftertaste was strange and not pleasant.
Light carbonation and smooth for the ABV.
I could not even finish the beer, so the drinkability was questionable [and Dark Belgian Ales are my favorite style]. This beer is surprisingly thick, almost syrupy. This, along with some misplaced flavors, made fail to live up to the style.

Belgian Abbey Ale from Maui Brewing Co.