Gluteus Maximus 2004 | Max's Fanno Creek Brew Pub

maxsfannocreek.com

Style: American Barleywine

Added by ccrida on 06-07-2007

4.58/5  rDev 0%

Served from nitro into a wine glass, this is the most gorgeous aged barlywine I've ever seen - wow! I should note I've never had one on nitro before, but, this had a thick, creamy, bubbly tan head that just didn't quit, leaving really nice lace. The body was a dark garnet, more red around the edges when held to light.

The aroma has that rich, nutty, malt aroma that I really like about barelywines, as well as a little grape fruitness.

The taste is also very rich and nutty, bitter yet smooth, with caramel, grape and toasted malt. Lots of depth and very good. Not sure if the nitro is dumbing down the taste, but there is a lot going on here, and it's all good.

I really enjoyed the luscious mouthfeel from the nitro, very unusual for an aged barelywine. Really smooth and creamy, this drinks much lighter then it probably is.

This was a really fantastic experience, I could drink these all day if I had the time to sip em slow and really savor without getting to drunk. If you like barelywines, this one's a winner. I had their '05 at a festival this winter and my notes were similarly glowing, although that one was not on nitro. I assume this will be a seasonal, like it was a Tucks, but I entered it as a limited release because I named it by vintage...

Gluteus Maximus 2004 from Max's Fanno Creek Brew Pub