Spotted Owl

n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 8 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.77/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just picked up a 2012 bottle... I've been itching to try this for years.

Decent head on the pour, thin ring of retention shows a lot of leg.

Awesome aroma: figs, candied pineapple, golden raisins, raspberry and mango.

Toffee-like sweetness is nicely balanced by the bitterness. Some biscuity malt, oak tannin, with lots of fruit in the flavour as well... Mango, field berries, figs and raisins.

Some residual sweetness but not at all cloying, gentle acidity with a crisp finish.

It really is an exceptional brew.

This is the best barleywine I've ever had. North fork is awesome, too bad not more people on this site know about them, but this is their best beer. Sweet toffee, burnt caramel and very little booze to the nose and on the tongue. Brewed with a british strain of yeast, the way a good barleywine ought to be

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Enjoyed on tap today while having lunch w/ fellow BA, Truh.
Arrived a burnt amber color with less than 1/4 finger of white head...mostly disappeared and very little lacing.
Aroma was fantastic...sweet malt, raisins, cherries, figs and no alcohol to speak of.
The taste was quite sweet, with more of the above but more concentration on the raisins and cherries.
Not a lot of hops in this one...more sweet than bitter, but I enjoy this style without all of the hops distracting my pallet...it's not a double IPA we're ordering here.
Mouthfeel was thick yet not cloying and the carbonation was very subdued...if not for an overly sweet flavor, this one would be one heck of a quaffable barleywine. Either way, I could throw back a few of these, but not sure what kind of condition I'd be in afterwards...there is no indication on the abv, but I know I am light in the head after just 10.5 ounces...I like that.
Thanks to Red Bones for bringing in these goodies...one I would have never imagined I'd get to try on the east coast.

3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

Served on-tap at Redbones with my dinner on 11/10. Bartender informed me it is a barleywine.

Poured a garnet brown in color. Light had difficulty peaking through at all. Very flat appearance.

Nose was sugary sweet and first made me not want to drink the beer it was so sickly sweet. But after the first sip the aroma improved.

Not as hoppy as some other barleywines. The hop bitterness came through as a very mild piney-ness. Oddly sugary and sweet. Almost like a Belgian Dark Ale. Alcohol was very noticeable. Nicely balaced as well with the malts and sugars. Another interesting flavor was something that reminded me of carmelized pecans.

Chewy mouthfeel with an extremely full body. Alcohol burn was a bit of a shock at first but it was very warming.

Good beer that improved greatly as it warmed up.

Spotted Owl from North Fork Brewing