Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Son Of Frog | North Fork Brewing

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by RedDiamond on 11-06-2009

Reviews by sam_bliss:
2.82/5  rDev -21.7%

Son of Frog was a bit disappointing for me. And it is nowhere near as tasty as Hair of the Frog. A bit light for something considered an amber, this beer smells and tastes of honey. Pale malts provide a crisp and bready canvas for something interesting to paint on, but I note very little else besides the aforementioned honey flavor. This ale is very lightly hopped and somewhat thin in the mouth. Not my favorite of North Fork's offerings.

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

I couldn't get much information from my server or the house menu regarding this ale other than that it was vaguely of the English tradition. They sell Son of Frog T-shirts at North Fork but couldn't tell me the origins of the name. I've ruled out Son Of Frog as a small beer brewed from the second runnings of NF's Hair of The Frog barleywine.

The essential fact of Frog is that it is sweet - pure beer candy in an amber-crimson hue. Some might call it under-hopped. There is an eventual bittering towards the finish but not much to speak of. The aroma has a sensuous wash of honey. The taste winks at you with mellifluous charm.

Personally I didn't mind the imbalanced malt emphasis. Just accept it at malt value.

Son Of Frog from North Fork Brewing