O'Dark:30 Cascadian Dark Ale | Oakshire Brewing

Availability: Spring

IBUs: 72
OG: 15.0° Plato

Added by msubulldog25 on 02-13-2010

The appearance has a nice looking black colored body with a decent looking lightened brown to super light black colored head that dies within about thirty seconds. The smell has a large coffee maltiness invading the bitter hops that desperately try to come through - for the most part - it seems to me that the bitterness tries to come through in the coffee part. The taste is bitter and sweet at separate times and good for the most part. The aftertaste is sticky and tries to be sweet with some sort of element of sweetness to come across what really wants to be a dry finish. However, is this a dry finish? I will say, its a lingering dry finish for the most part. The palate is about a light to medium in body, and comes across somewhat sessionable. Carbonation is good for the style and for me as its not exactly defined for the style (hahaha), anyways, well, I like it for how it feels inside my mouth and tongue. Overall, for an American Black Ale, hell yeah, good job Oakshire. In my opinion, I think you did what you were supposed to do.

3.64/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.41/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

With my eyes closed, I might think this were an IPA. Eyes open, this Cascadian Dark Ale is almost black. Hold it up to the light and you won't see much of anything pass through.

As for the taste? It's got a particular hop flavour that I don't like, not that that's really a criticism of the beer. Do I like it? Nope. Is it bad? Not really. Beyond the unpleasantly resiny-hop flavour, well, I don't really pick up much in the way of other flavours. I'd expect more malt than I'm getting.

Would I buy it again? Nope. It's not baaaad, but it's not for me.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle I brought to share at Skuter's tasting.

Pours a murky dark brown with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Foamy swaths of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, earth, and citrus zest aromas. Taste is much the same with char, citrus zest, and pine flavors on the finish. There is a high amount of roast and hop bitterness that lingers on the palate long after each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with an intense amount of bitterness that I really wasn't expecting.

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz bomber split with my brother into pint glasses.

A: Dark with red highlights; lots of light khaki head and lace.

S&T: Pine and resin, toast and burnt barley, some bood orange and citrus, rind and grapefruit, fairly bitter finish...coffee maltiness and bitterness...earthy hops, bordering on both dankness and grassiness. The deeply roasted malt character lends a nice coffee-like bitterness to the hop presence. Still fairly balanced in flavors, but moderately bitter.

MF: Medium bodied, bitter and dry.

O: A really decent Black IPA. Not overly hoppy, with a fairly dense dark malt backbone, but with plenty of bitterness and a fairly decent hop presence.

O'Dark:30 Cascadian Dark Ale from Oakshire Brewing