Crag Rat Porter

Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes: "Crag Rat is a session-strength dark ale that's distinctively hoppy, courtesy of lots of Simcoe whole flower hops. Named in honor of the oldest volunteer mountain search-and-rescue organization in the USA, based right here in the Hood River Valley."

Brewed with organic Pilsner malt, imported crystal and chocolate malts, Brewers Gold and Simcoe hops. 4.7% ABV, 60 BU
3.75/5  rDev 0%

Had this on tap at Portland's Belmont Station. Hadn't ever heard of the Double Mountain Brewery, but after checking it out on BA, I want to make a stop next time I'm in Hood River.

It's appearance was pretty typical of a quality porter. Nice and dark, letting a little bit of red-brown light in around the edges. The head was creamy, persistent and off-white.

Appearance was where it stopped being a typical porter. This beer either needs a different style, or has an identity crisis. With what else? An IPA, of all things! This is the hoppiest porter I've ever had, immediately apparent from the nose. My first whiff was assaulted by with a mix sharp, piney hops and dark roasted grains. What!? Yep, this has serious pine resin, even some citrus notes so common with a typical NW IPA. It's pretty complex, and I like IPAs so much that I'll let it pass.

Flavors were just as hoppy. Big hop resins with lots of pine and citrus dominate the malts. Lots of complexity though. This is crazy, but I have this and a DFH 60 Minute IPA side by side. The Crag Rat Porter is MORE hoppy than the 60 Minute. There's a nice late lingering grain finish that's really dry. I commented that it's a really complex. The bartender said that Double Mountain uses a Belgian yeast strain that adds some of that complexity. Very interesting.

Mouthfeel is characteristic of a porter. Not as full as a stout, but adequately viscous and appropriate moderate smooth carbonation. Very ashen dry finish, reminiscent of a dry Irish stout. Not what I expected, but I'm liking it.

I don't know how to rate this beer. I'm a big fan of hops and complexity, so it's pulling me to give it great ratings. At the same time, I have a feeling this beer is not going to appeal to a very wide audience. Also, the dark roasted grains just don't go well with the IPA-like hops. I prefer more earthy, grassy hops that better compliment a dark roasted beer. It's a fascinating option. I'm not sure if it's a limited release or going to be brewed year round. Give it a try, write it up, I'm curious to see what others think of this beer.

Crag Rat Porter from Double Mountain Brewery & Taproom