I.R.A. From The Wood

Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes: "We aged a batch of our lovable red brew in new Missouri oak casks for five months, giving the beer a intense whishky-like character, with nutty caramel and vanilla notes and a big woodiness." - Double Mountain

Brewed with organic Pilsner malt, imported crystal malt, Simcoe and Brewers' Gold hops. 6.8% ABV, 55 BU
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 5 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.44/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"We aged a batch of our lovable red brew in new Missoui oak casks for five months, giving the beer an intense whisky-like character, with nutty caramel and vanilla notes and a big woodiness. Brewed with Gambrinus Organic Pilsner malt, imported crystal malt, Simcoe and Brewer's Gold hops. 6.8%ABV, 55BU"

Imperial pint at the taproom, the I.R.A. From The Wood is a dark cloudy bronze with a small white collar.

Smell is nice and sweet, caramel and papaya/mango ale esters.

Taste is soft and rounded, with way more fruity esters and less hops then regular I.R.A. IIRC, semi-sweet crystal, with very nice vanilla and coconut notes from the wood. I also agree with the brewery's suggestion that it's nutty, perhaps almonds?

Mouthfeel is very soft and smooth, this could damn near pass for cask ale.

Drinkabilty is really high. Super smooth and tasty, clean and light bodied, but still offering some complexity.

I.R.A. From The Wood from Double Mountain Brewery & Taproom