Green's Endeavour Dubbel Dark Ale | Green's Gluten Free Beers

glutenfreebeers.co.uk

Style: Dubbel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2007

4.05/5  rDev +41.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.78/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a dark brown color. The head was fairly thick, frothy, off white, and dissipated quickly.
The nose of this beer almost smells like a BA beer. It's smells like a barrel to me. There is also a sweetness to the nose.
The taste is interesting. Up front I get, like I described in the nose, an almost barrel flavor to it. After that, a sweet flavor kicks in. I'm not a big sweet guy, but it isn't offensive.
The feel is somewhat thin, but not too much so.
I've had some very bad gluten free beers, this isn't one of them. It's quite delicious. A good beer to drink.

4.31/5  rDev +50.2%

A - Pours clear, dark, and thin. A lot of head at first but dissipates quickly
S - lots of maltiness , sweet
T - a fairly light 'dark' ale, sweet, but still balanced
M - pleasantly carbonated
O - I bought this for my wife is GF, she actually really liked it. I had it as well, and if you've had as many gluten free beers as I have, you'd know this is near the top for any type.

3.46/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I really think that the gluten-free market needs its own category... much like fruit/vegetable beers.
I cannot compare this to a Belgian dubbel that has the advantage of using barley to combine with the sugar and yeast. They evolved for a century or more to go together.

While a decently crafted beer, Endeavour's key inferior ingredient simply will not get good ratings. Because I adjust for that, my rating is well above average... and we should respect the effort that went into crafting it.

Endeavour looks good. But, it does have nondistinctive aromas (in this style, I think malt and fruit; but I don't get it here.) The taste also is simple... to the point of being a bit boring, if compared to barley.
But the mouth is unusually soft... and that may be something other brewers should think about.
Try Endeavour and keep one for your gluten-sensitive friends because they cannot enjoy what we take for granted.

3.82/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

4.13/5  rDev +43.9%

A fully gf double with no sulphates that doesn't suck!

3.68/5  rDev +28.2%

500 ml bottle into chalice, best before 10/29/2019. Pours crystal clear dark reddish brown color with a 1 finger fairly dense and fluffy tan head with good retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a good amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of raisin, plum, fig, pear, apple, pepper, brown sugar, toasted bread, light chocolate/nuttiness, herbal, floral, and yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of fruity/spicy yeast, dark/bready maltiness, and earthy hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of raisin, plum, fig, pear, apple, pepper, brown sugar, toasted bread, light chocolate/nuttiness, herbal, floral, and yeast earthiness. Moderate amount of yeast spiciness and herbal bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of raisin, plum, fig, pear, apple, pepper, brown sugar, toasted bread, and herbal/yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice complexity, robustness, and balance of fruity/spicy yeast, dark/bready maltiness, and earthy hop flavors; with a great malt/bitter/spiciness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Some light-moderate dryness after the finish from carbonation. Medium-high carbonation and medium bodied; with a very smooth, fairly crisp/prickly/foamy, and lightly grainy/bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a nice gluten free Dubbel style. All around good robustness, complexity, and balance of fruity/spicy yeast, dark/bready maltiness, and earthy hop flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.75/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.69/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.49/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Really surprised by all the bad reviews. This is a very drinkable ale . Certainly nothing like the really good dubbels Ive had, but its gluten free. What do you expect?

3.34/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: The beer is dark brown when viewed from afar, but upon closer inspection when held up to a bright light it is clear dark red in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that died down, leaving a large patch of bubbles in the center and a thick collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of dark fruits—black cherries seem to stand out in particular—are present in the nose along with hints of candi sugar and hints of vegetables.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste is dominated by flavors of black cherries and has a little bit of sweetness from the candi sugars. Slight hints of sorghum are noticeable towards the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This is pretty good for a gluten-free beer and doesn't have much in the way of "off" flavors from the sorghum as these are mostly masked by the cherries and candi sugars. It's also one of the heavier-bodied gluten-free beers that I've had.

3.11/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a bottle into a schooner, the beer is a deep, dark, vibrant, ruby-brown coloring with a thin, low profile, off-white head. Aromas of sugary sweetness, roasted nut, tangy caramel, and some old world fruit sweetness. Very heavy and cloying sweetness. Flavors are very sweet forward, with a blast of date, fig, cherry, and berry notes that border on sugary/syrupy. Candi sugar in there, too, making this a real sweet tooth brew. Wow. The body is light, but a bit chewy from all the sweetness. The aftertaste is all the berry and cherry again, and that lingers through the slick, slightly oily finish. This one leans far too sweet and sugary for me, for the style.

3.09/5  rDev +7.7%

I wish that I could remember where I scored this, but it and other G-F beers have been sitting on my kitchen counter awaiting the right time to drink them. I had a colleague who is gluten-free and I told her that I would keep my eye out for G-F beer options and report back to her on my findings. In the interim, I retired from that job and I still have the beers awaiting review. I have not felt perfect these last couple of days, so I thought that I would try something(s) fairly innocuous.

From the bottle: "Ale made from Millet, Buckwheat, Rice & Sorghum"; "Green's Ales are brewed and bottled by DeProef Brouwerij, Lochristi, Gent, Belgium."

I Pop!ped the cap and began the pour which resulted in a LOT of rocky, light-tan head coming up as if I were pouring a bottle of pop! It fell as quickly as it rose, but it left a bunch of sticky lacing in its wake. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with NE-quality clarity and beautiful garnet highlights. Once again, the nose held the sharp cheesiness that I am sure what is causing people to give these beers such low ratings. I am also sure that it is borne of the buckwheat that is used in brewing G-F beers. The people rating (and reviewing) G-F beers should bear in mind that we are (probably) not their intended audience and give such beers a break with an eye towards what life would be like if we were gluten intolerant. Mouthfeel was thin, but highly carbonated. The taste was, well, I am not going to sugarcoat it - it was really sharp, initially and I almost spit it out since it was so unexpected! Once I overcame my initial gag reflex, I began to get flavors of dried, dark fruits and it was quite enjoyable, actually. Finish had a burnt sugar sweetness, rendering it semi-sweet overall. I can honestly say that this has been an eye-opening weekend for me and I look forward to a continued exploration of G-F beers.

1.31/5  rDev -54.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I picked this up for my wife who has a gluten allergy. Relative to other gluten free beers, this is not bad. Relative to everything else...

4.27/5  rDev +48.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tried this on a whim at my favorite sushi place. From the bottle straight to wine glass.

L: Dark (hard to see in the restaurant) with thin head.
S: Smells dubbel-y, but different. Going out on a limb and saying it's from the different malt source.
T: Very surprised at the dubbel flavor in a gluten free beer. Some alcohol taste coming through. The other "grains" providing different, unfamiliar tastes, but nothing so offensive. Again very surprised at the quality of taste. Greatest dubbel ever? Not close, but I wouldn't confuse it for something else.
F: Light for a dubbel - due to the lack of gluten?
O: Not bad at all! Rather surprised/delighted that alternatives exist for those that can't have gluten. I wouldn't swap it for Chimay or Ommegang, but it'll do in a pinch.

3.04/5  rDev +5.9%

1.59/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Aroma of sherry, wine, vegetal, dirt. Taste dry vinous, faint cherry coke, prunes. Not a Dubbel! Another undrinkable Gluten!

1.5/5  rDev -47.7%

Sampling right now on 9/26/14. Comes in a single 600ml (16.9 ounce) bottle for around $6.00 from Hy-vee. Best before '22/10/18'on the label so I am safe. LOL! From the DeProef Brouweril, Lochristi, Gent, Belgium. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a handled glass stein.

Pours a pretty dark brown with some ruby highlights, almost black with a good 3-finger thick foamy beige head that last a good while before settling down to a good 2-3mm head. LOTS of lacing is seen when sipped and sticks to the sides of the glass. The aroma is of yeast, rice, and sweet dark molasses. The label says:"Water, millet,buckwheat, rice, sorghum, hops and yeast'. Lots going on with the taste as you can taste the ingredients listed including the water. LOL! Goes down easy with a very slight dry bitter finish that doesn't last. Also a slight different aftertaste is noted. Not bad but different. Overall a different BUT decent brew.

3.5/5  rDev +22%