Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Tripel

Added by Patrick999 on 06-08-2009

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 3
3.38/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I approach with some trepidation....in my experience, the Titanic's attempts at Belgian styles have been pretty off. In fact, the last time they had this tripel, it came to me flat and sticky. I try again.

Description of this beer promised a fruity Belgian-style tripel with some spiciness. 9.0% ABV.

A - Already, we're looking much better than what I had a year or so ago. Served in an appropriate stemmed tulip, this shows a pleasing golden body with a decent little crown of foam.

S - Some Titanic brews can be a little weak on the aromatics, but this does show a pleasant light tropical fruit, along with some spicy alcohol.

T - This is indeed quite estery, with the mango-like fruitiness. Sweet, but thankfully not cloyingly so. Good fresh bready malt backing that I was enjoying. Not really all that spicy as promised. Actually a decent stab at a difficult style. I think I enjoyed it more than Tripel Karmeliet, to be honest. Dry this baby out just a little, and we've got something. I think adding some hop bitterness (hopping was very minimal here) would do just the trick.

F - Not brutally over-carbonated, not sticky as I feared it might be. It doesn't have quite the pillow-soft feel of the tripels brewed by the Belgian masters, but I wasn't expecting that.

D - At 9%, one will do you. Good one to order with food. I can tell you that this paired very well with the spicy wings, and pulled pork sandwich. I'm pleased to report that this beer has improved since the last time Titanic attempted it. Not bad. Comparatively low score is simply indicative of the fact that there's some hefty competition in this style category. It sure as hell isn't Chimay Cinq Cents, St. Bernardus, Westmalle, Val-Dieu or even Allagash, but it's pretty good for a neighborhood brewpub in Miami.

Tripel Reserve from Titanic Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.