Pumpkin Lager

n/a
Notes:
lstokes from Illinois

3.52/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This was definitely a hard beer to place, because it's not what I expected from a pumpkin beer. Americans usually make pumpkin ales, and I was so excited to see a pumpkin lager in Germany that maybe my expectations shot up sky-high.

It's gorgeous, with a deep red orange color, a two finger head, and a bit of lacing. The smell was the worst part, a sort of tart soapiness which nearly put me off the beer. But it rebounds in the taste, which is very malty, not sweet at all, sort of a slightly tart, very creamy lager. The waitress told me it had pumpkin, cinnamon, and ginger in it but I didn't feel like I could taste any of that. Maybe a bit of prickly ginger?

The mouthfeel was luscious and creamy and smooth with just the right amount of prickle, so nearly top marks for that, and I kept drinking it well enough, but I wasn't sure if I enjoyed it or just wanted to figure it out.

Dec 11, 2009
dasenebler from Maine

3.91/5  rDev +5.1%

I am not sure where to place this beer stylistically. It's a pumpkin lager, not an ale, and it is much more tame and subtle than pumpkin beers in America.

Beautiful amber appearance, almost transparent. Decent head, and nice lacing on the way down. Aroma was of malts, a bit of tartness.

Taste was very subtle and light-medium bodied. Definitely maltier than your pils or helles lager, with an added element of slight tartness/tanginess. Not spiced, sweet, or pumpkin-like tasting at all. Just a slightly heavier lager really. Nice mouthfeel: smooth, creamy, not too carbonated. A unique but not overtly pumpkin-tasting lager.

Nov 06, 2008