Ravensbrau Porter | Eel River Brewing Co.

Awaiting 10 Reviews
Ravensbrau PorterRavensbrau Porter

Eel River Brewing Co.
eelriverbrewing.com

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2002

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 3
4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

From a 22 oz bottle purchaed directly from the brewery at the brewpub quite a while ago so it is well aged. Poued into my Duvel glass it was a very dark brown that rose into a big tan head that left large chunks of lacing as it settled. I generally find dark beers show their best if not served too cold so this one came directly from my 55 degree "beer cellar". Solid nose of roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, with a touch of sweetness that was both caramel and fruit. Very rich and smooth tongue-feel and nice and oily going down. Flavors were like the aromas only with a little hops and a bit of exta sweetness that adds to its character. This is an exceptional Porter It it too bad Eel River brews don’t get wider distribution. I notice that this is the first rating in 3-1/2 years. I believe they are going to expand their brewing capaciy soon so maybe this will become more available to beer lovers everywhare. It sure deserves it.. It is great.

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Dark brown color. Smallish head. Aroma is chocolate and coffee. A full-bodied porter. Intense chocolate and coffee malts. Nicely hopped. Good flavor. Well balanced. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

3.63/5  rDev -10.1%

First I will say that this beer should have received a higher rating. I had this at the brewpub and I was letdown when this beer was delivered to my table freezing cold. Porter is not at it's best when it's overchilled. The color was black as night and the head was decent. A nice roasted taste tried to sneak through the chill but then quickly vanished. I think at the proper temperature it would have garnered at least a 4.0. This was a nice brewpub that served great food. unfortunately I wish I had ordered something else.

Ravensbrau Porter from Eel River Brewing Co.