BrewDog Paradox Islay (Batch 009) - Ardbeg | BrewDog

BrewDog Paradox Islay (Batch 009) - ArdbegBrewDog Paradox Islay (Batch 009) - Ardbeg

BrewDog
Scotland, United Kingdom
brewdog.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by bark on 03-19-2008

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

4.19/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.51/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Paradox Islay Batch 09 pours brilliant deep dark brown with a thin tan film of a cap. This beer has legs instead of lace. It smells like Ardbeg – briney, seaweedy, medicinal, peaty, and smoky over a coffee chocolate malt background. There is a wonderful marriage between the rich malt flavors and the scotch that place this near the twilight zone between scotch and beer. It has a big, bold alcoholic body with a touch of heat and below average carbonation. It is a shame that this is no longer brewed.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

3.06/5  rDev -21.1%

Had a bottle of this back in 2008, This brew was probably one of the first barrel aged beers I ever had. It was like something I had never had before. I can remember opening the bottle and pouring it out. Looked perfect because at the time I was a big Stout lover. Poured out as a deep black with a brown head that fizzled away pretty quickly. The smell was almost like sniffing a Johnny Walker bottle. The Scotch was very sharp on the nose and just beyond that was some of the stout elements like burnt malts and some dark chocolate. The taste was almost like drinking Scotch as well. I was really surprised by the power that the barrel aging had on this beer. The mouthfeel was smooth and on the lighter side. Overall I'm sure a lot of people may love this but for me I felt that it was too much for me at the time.

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured into a Darkness snifter from an 11.2 ounce bottle.

A: Pours black, yet some light manages to shine through. Head is about a centimeter thick and cream-colored, and leaves some lacing as it settles quiclky into a thin film.

S: Aroma scrams Islay. Malt brings on roasted character and coffee, with smoke, wood, and brine from the barrels.

T: Once again, ISLAY! Peat smoke, brine, and wood, along with hints of coffee, chocolate, and earth. Could possibly have the most "barrel influence" of any of the Paradox series. The finish is sweet, with honey, and some dried fruit character.

Notes: This brew is full of flavor, and has a finish that stains the palate, although I would have liked a bit more body. Alcohol is definitely present. Excellent beer, though, and I am happy to have tried it.

3.49/5  rDev -10.1%

Thanks to biggreen for sharing this bottle with me.

A - Poured a black color with a thin tan head

S - Has a smokey peaty scotch nose

T - This is like drinking black scotch with some roasted malt in it

M - This beer has a watery body with light carbonation to it

D - This wasn't the easiest beer to drink that for sure but its was a decent sipping beer glad I was only given some of the bottle as I really probably couldn't drink more than a few ounces at a time anyway

3.62/5  rDev -6.7%

pours a clear brown with a small tan head, and little to no lacing.

smell is of wild yeast, a little cocoa, and dark fruit.

taste is slightly sour, dark fruit, some chocolate in the back, malt, and salmon berry, ends a little on the tart side.

overall a very different imperial stout.

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Looks not quite black on the pour, more of a cola color, but gives a nice solid brown-tan head of one finger and mostly smaller bubbles. In the glass, the beer is a very very deep brown. Almost, but not quite black. The head doesn't seem to have the greatest retention, and lacks texture.

S: There is an odd combination of roasted grain and alcohol here. Not a good, warming alcohol but like rubbing alcohol. I find it rather offputting, and it's not something I would think would develop with age.

T: The taste is better. A smokey whiskey flavor underlies the roasted grain, the two different flavors playing back and forth for dominance. The smell keeps getting in the way, but when I do get the taste, it's pretty enjoyable. Not great, but interesting. Sometimes I get a little coco, sometimes not. Nothing sweet though, and no dark fruits like you might from a RIS.

M: Light body mostly, smooth, though there are some times when it seems a little sharp and bitter rather than slick. I would think of this more of a strong ale than stout, but they say stout.

D: Overall, the alcohol is hidden well in the taste, but not the aroma. The body is lacking, but not to a point of failure. I'm glad to have tried it to compare it to other Paradox Series beers, but I'm also glad I paid so little for it.

4.44/5  rDev +14.4%

This review is from 6/7/08. I just now realized that my original review was for the wrong paradox islay beer. Oooops!

The speyside version of this beer was good, but this was other worldly. This is definitely a great beer for those who love dark beer and single malt scotch. A marriage made in heaven for us....

Had this at Max's the other night during their Tuesday social hour. Apparently it is being introduced into our market.

The beer pours a black brown color with good head retention and lacing. The beer looks impressive, but on the nose... mama mia!!! I am absolutely blown away by the aroma of smokey peat, wet stones and leather. The nose on this beer is an absolute single malt drinker's dream. I get it that they used adberg scotch casks to age this beer, but did they bother to drain the scotch out of the barrel before they added the beer? On the palate this beer is nearly as impressive, giving the impression of a rich scottish ale blended with single malt. The beer is fairly dry, and I think the scotch flavor cuts down the sweet natural maltiness of this beer. Again, one gets impressive flavors of leather, heather and even wet horse blanket superimposed on the smokey peat and malt flavor. This is just an amazing beer; this ain't your daddy's normal stout is all I can say. Surprisingly, the beer is no more then medium bodied and is not the least bit tiring or heavy on the palate. As for drinkability, I noticed this beer became progressively easier to drink the more I sipped of it - not entirely sure that's a good thing. :-)

Granted, this beer is not for everyone, but anyone who loves single malt scotch and stout will probably be very happy. The finish on this beer is actually more remeniscent of what I expect from single malt then stout, and I found myself sipping it gently accordingly. Quite impressive. Exceptional.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast