Raspberry Imperial Stout | BrewDog

BrewDog
Scotland, United Kingdom
brewdog.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Imperial Stout aged in a Smokehead whisky cask with 25 kgs of fresh raspberries.

Added by stumac on 03-31-2009

Liked:
3.37/5
Alströms:

Reviews by thepeter:
3.42/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured black with soft medim head that turned to film over the course of the drink. Held up to the light a tan hue shines through. Smells of smoke, peat, a bit of rubber and slight sweet/tart berry. Tastes much like the aroma, Begins with a lot of smoke and peat, a hint of berry and finishes tart and surprisingly clean with very little aftertaste. Palate was thin and effervescent especially for the style. When I have an imp Stout I want a rich viscus body and this was not the case. Overall, a very decent beer with many flavors, but lacking in certain areas.

3.32/5  rDev -1.5%

This was an unlabled bottle that I recieved a while back from Jw347. It was his donation to the ante pot in the first Poker BIF. Jonathan told me it came directly from Brewdog and he ordered it off there website. I have been saving this to share with thepeter as he is a regular at the Rake in London which this beer was brewed for.

Suprisingly thin. Much lighter than the regular smokehead (base beer). Very heavy scotch notes. Quite spritzy. Extremely peaty. Not much raspberry upfront a little in the finish.
You can tell this was a experimental batch. I am not sure how well scotch wood pairs with raspberries. I was not a huge fan. It also ha a bit of oxidation. I think this was brewed about 2 years ago so it may have lost a bit in the bottle.

OK beer. I was glad I got a chance to try it giving the extreme rarity of it. Not for the faint of heart. If you are into scotch it might be your thing.

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%