Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Mr Squirrel | BrewDog

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Added by dgilks on 08-23-2012

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

3.57/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

330ml Bottle from Brewdog.com (£5.49):
Black with the slightest of red tinges shinning through and a very thin and bubbly, off-white to brown coloured head that more of a patchy lacing.

Strong chocolate aroma with lots of licorice and rich malts as well as some sweetness and a oak like, light whiskey smell. It is quite light and I could detect some vanilla too.

Rich and chocolaty with a lot of alcohol coming through as well as some strong licorice flavours and a lot of grain. There is some chocolate malts and an earthy spice taste to the beer along with that lingering alcohol feel.

Medium to full bodied and very spicy with a rich, alcohol laced middle. Carbonation is almost non-existent and there is some grain and rich bitterness too.

Not a bad beer, although the fact that is measures in at well over ten percent means it's not going to be one I have very often if at all again. It was a nice beer and highly drinkable but it was one that your really have to savour and take your time over. Pretty good although nothing spectacular.

2.5/5  rDev -28%

4.05/5  rDev +16.7%

I feel really bad calling this a Euro Dark Lager but I have to pigeon hole it somehow.

It's a dark lager brewed with miso, Sorachi Ace hops and toasted walnuts before being bourbon barrel aged. Allegedly, some caramelised apple was thrown into the barrel.

Very dark brown to black colour with a creamy tan head. Fair head retention.

Interesting aroma. A little lemony, I get the bourbon, I get some apple. There's a touch of earthiness as well. Slightly herbal. I find it curious but wonder if it is insufficiently integrated.

Like the aroma this is curious. Quite boozy with the bourbon coming through strongly. The hops are apparent as are the apples. When I look for it I can find the nutty walnut notes as well.

Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. While not really fizzy there is some effervescence on the tongue.

An interesting beer. I'm not convinced that it is the most amazing thing I've ever tasted but the combination is interesting. The umami from the MSG in the miso adds a really neat note on the back of the tongue and the rest of it works surprisingly well.

Mr Squirrel from BrewDog