Chelsea Witcraft | Chelsea Craft Brewing Company

2.5
26%

3.5/5  rDev +40%

2.44/5  rDev -2.4%

On tap at Vinter's Wine Market on 9th avenue. I originally reviewed this beer under a different name because these guys have everything totally screwy, pouring me some kind of dunkelweizen and telling me it was Harpoon Summer Ale (a kolsch!). They also had this one incorrectly labeled.

Regardless, when this beer was poured for me (cloudy pale gold, small head, decent lacing), the spices were completely overwhelming in the aroma. The glass was a foot from my face and I was smacked with cloves and other, vaguer spice aromas (coriander and cinnamon? allspice and nutmeg?). They were so heavy handed they overwhelmed any other aspect of the beer, and this continued in the tasting. There was a dull wheat flavor underneath but the cloves were overpowering to an extent that I felt this keg should never have left the brewery. I don’t mind spiced beers but this was ridiculous.

The body was light and watery and carbonation was medium. There was some crispness to this but it didn’t matter. I couldn’t finish the glass, this was simply too much. Not good at all.

Chelsea Witcraft from Chelsea Craft Brewing Company