War Hammer | Fegley's Bethlehem Brew Works

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by WesWes on 02-17-2010

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 4
4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

I'll be honest. I'd never heard of this brewery before my friend brought I growler of this over tonight. I was pleasantly surprised...

A: Pretty much black. Just the slightest brown hues when held to light. About a finger of light tan head dissipates to a thin ring after several minutes.

S: Strong aromas of coffee and dark chocolate. Hints of vanilla and liquor also meet the nose. Really nice.

T: Really great. Robust mocha, espresso, and dark chocolate flavors. Roasted malt really shines here too. Hints of smoke and chocolate dessert in the finish.

M: Medium to almost full. Very subtle carbonation.

D: Considering I'd never heard of this brewery, this was a great surprise. A delicious Baltic porter that I would definitely have again. I know where I'm going the next time I drive through Pennsylvania!

4.42/5  rDev -2%

The beer pours a dark brown/black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great! It has a wonderful burnt toffee scent along with hints of chocolate malt. It's sweet smelling with a touch of alcohol warmth. The taste is great as well. It has a damn fine burnt toffee character along with a touch of patent malt earthiness and more chocolate malts. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a delicious beer. It's well done without going over the top.

War Hammer from Fegley's Bethlehem Brew Works