Firkin Hammer | Heads Up Brewing

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by Knuckles on 11-15-2005

Reviews by Knuckles:
3.98/5  rDev 0%

This beer won the People's Choice Best in Show award for the first tasting session of the most recent Washington Brewer's Guild Cask Festival (I'm re-reading that sentence, trying to figure out how in the hell to make it less torturous to read, and I'm coming up blank). It's a beer that I approached with some trepidation, as my suspicions regarding extract-based beers have been mentioned before. Well, my fears were completely unjustified, as this was a full-mash masterpiece brewed by Jeff (also known as Ted's Bitch) who has made the single best beer I've ever had from Head's Up.

Appearance: A deep, dark color that blurs the line between brown and black, tha Hammer is poured with minimal head as this is served on cask. What head you do get is dark brown, somewhat reminiscent of a cafe au lait.

Smell: I don't know what yeast Jeff used, but it smells delicious. The initial blast is the fruitiness of the yeast, and then the sweetness of the malt and the candi sugar takes over. Very little hint of the alcohol power is present.

Taste: This beer masks its alcohol very, very well. It's robust, that is to be sure, but Jeff did a fine job of crafting a quad that will trick you into sessioning it instead of drinking just one or two like a smart person would (yes, I'm one of the non-smart people). The initial taste is of caramel, maybe a little date-like fruitiness, and then the yeast takes over in the finish. It's a nice wrap-up to a great mouth experience.

Mouthfeel: Jeff, once again, did a fantastic job. A beer this high in ABV could be very thick, ala Dark Lord. However, it is not. It's definitely not shy about letting you know it's there, but it's not the loud fat guy at the bar. Oh wait, that's me.

Drinkability: This is a big bitch cockroach of a beer. And while even a big bitch cockroach oughta know that nobody fucks with the King, this beer definitely fucked with me (and took my wife down hard). It's deceptive in all areas, so the ABV really sneaks up and sucker punches you about halfway through your second glass. Treat this beer with care and respect, it has definitely earned it.

Good work, Jeff.