Old Bertha Red 99 | Elk Creek Cafe + Aleworks

Elk Creek Cafe + Aleworks
Pennsylvania, United States
elkcreekcafe.net

Style: American Brown Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by SierraGS on 07-05-2008

3.98/5  rDev 0%

A-Deep ruby copper with a medium light tan head that reduced to a thin ring that left spotty lace.

S-Light sweet maltiness with a vague hint of smokiness.

T-Surprising roasted malt flavour with again that subtle hint of smoke. Much better than I expected-not slanted towards a sweet Irish Red at all....certainly like a brown.

M-Medium body with a nice dry finish. A bit of oak sneaks in to dry things out.

D-I assume the red in the name is in honor of Old Bertha 99 (an old fire engine) as this is certainly more along the lines of an American Brown. Much better than I anticipated. Dry and roasty....nice. A good offering to support the local fire department. I would love to help support more often!

4.25/5  rDev 0%

This beer was advertised on the door of Elk Creek Cafe + Aleworks with a poster showing a firetruck. It was created to support the Millheim Fire Company which has been assisting in the community for 99 years. 50-cents from each pint or $2. from each growler or pitcher sold goes to the fire company.

I expected a malty red (not my favorite style), but was pleased with a dark brown and quite roasty beverage. It had hints of red on the edges and sides, but had a rich, dark color and a tan head.

There isn't a lot to the nose, but the faint waft of toasted grains are present, and the malt is noticeable, but not overpowering.

I'm almost certain that "red" is just in the name, and that this is a brown ale. It had a pleasant caramel flavor to compliment my brunch foods, which included caramelized onion and sweet baby spinach.

Old Bertha Red 99 from Elk Creek Cafe + Aleworks