Hairy John IPA | Elk Creek Cafe + Aleworks

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by ffejherb on 07-30-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.98/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Elk Creek Cafe & Aleworks "Hairy John IPA"
22 fl. oz. brown glass bottle without freshness dating
$6.36 @ Pletcher's Beer Distributor, State College, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: I've never had a beer from Elk Creek, never even heard of them in fact, so I'm excited to give this a try. It's poured a cloudy copper body beneath a finger-thick head of creamy yellowed foam. The aroma is fruity, like orange, and perhaps red berries or grapes. There's a little bit of caramelish malt to it but not much. Wow, I had to turn the bottle around - the guy on the label, whom I'll assume is hairy John, was starting at me!!! On to the flavor... ahh, I'm getting much more grape flavor, and a bit of brown sugar. It's interesting but hardly what I'd expect of an IPA, English, American, or otherwise. It's sweetish, and although balanced, not really that bitter beyond what's needed to balance it. Some bitterness does linger in the finish though, along with some pine and a light bit of spiciness. There's even some grapefruit to it. I might be inclined to call this a "strong ale" rather than an IPA, or at least a "double" or "Imperial" IPA. It's really interesting though, and I'm not sure I've ever had a beer quite like this. As it warms some alcohol shows, not much, but a little. I'm guessing based on the fruitiness that this has undergone a slightly high fermentation and I wonder if this is the way it always is, or if this one batch got away. And is that spiciness alcohol? It doesn't seem like it, but it doesn't seem like hops either. Is there rye involved? That would make sense. Yes, thinking about it, some toasty rye malt is exactly what the flavor is suggesting. Of course I'm probably wrong, but I do get that flavor. As it warms it improves, opening up and revealing more character. It's very charming and curious, keeping you interested and pulling you back for sip after sip. Had I know, given the price that I paid, I'd have bought more. It's a nice beer to just have when you're prepared to handle a stronger beer, or it makes a great sipper as an after-fdinner beer or night cap, or just something to relax with. Looking back there's some impressive lacing left on the glass, although the head has fallen to become just an average collar. Medium-bodied with a bit of a dextrinous edge I'd say, and fairly crisp at first and then smoother, of course, as it warms. It's almost reminiscent of a fruity barleywine to me at this point. Nicely malty with some depth to it.

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

3.44/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pretty run-of-the-mill IPA, the hop presence is somewhat muted but that is my speed anyway. It just lacks any other standout notes. Just some citrus / golden hops & pine resin, mouthfeel is coating.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.76/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22oz brown bomber, sample from brewery.

Great looking sudsy lacing, nearly clear reddish amber hue. Aroma and palate show a melding of a thick resin piney hop character with a well rounded deep malt toasted and caramel flavor. Semi-intense bitterness, slight warming from the alcohol ... clean though. Very bold and drinkable for a big beer.

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev -4%