Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Cosmic Monster | Spring House Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States
springhousebeer.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Availability: Summer

Cosmic Monster is a rustic Belgian style strong ale that is balanced with a generous addition of fresh fruit. This beer is fermented with real, pureed blackberries and then aged to perfection over fresh raspberries. Its balance of robust malt and fruit flavors make it a beer that is as refreshing as it is complex.

Added by yourefragile on 01-15-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.22/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%

Too much fruit, not much like a quad. Light bodied and pretty dry, the fruit leaves a kind of tart aftertaste. Doesn't stand up to the likes of St. bernadus or other Belgians.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

3.44/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.8/5  rDev +12.1%

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

3.67/5  rDev +8.3%

Overall I found this beer perfectly delightful. I had it on tap and took a bomber to go. Among other quads I would rank this lower but I'm not interested in what's on the label. I didn't think the raspberry was bad at all (and I normally despise a flavored beer). I'm not going to go on about how it looked because it was served in a snifter and retained a reasonable head with some mild lacing. Was not very boozy but I will admit a little warm but hey, still better than your average beer and zoinks! I think maybe 11 or 12 percent. It went quite well with my Clark Griswald Hot Dog. Another decent offering from Spring House.

1.51/5  rDev -55.5%

This might be the worst beer I've ever had. This is no way resembles a quad and was virtually undrinkable. I had to wash it down with my wife's miller lite to get the taste out of my mouth. It looks nice in the glass, but that's where it stops. It smells fruity at first and then something familiar comes to mind...robotussin. The taste is the same very sweet at first with a strong cough syrup aftertaste that doesn't go away. I was really disappointed having had good experiences with their other beers.

2.93/5  rDev -13.6%

Served on-tap at the Tasting Room.

A - Pours murky brown with a decent one finger tall white head leaving small strings of lace down parts of the glass.

S - Smells of dark fruits, candied sugar and a medicinal cherry aroma that threatens to overpower everything in its path.

T - Starts off with a TON of cherry syrup that never really fades. Hints of candied sugar, dark fruits and some spicy belgian yeast try to break through but they can only do so much. The booze is apparent from start to finish, combining with the sugar and cherries to linger on the palate long after the finish.

M - Big, Sticky sweet body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Cheery cough syrup feel with plenty of booze throughout.

O - This one is definitely not my cup of tea. I like my Quad's as much as the next person but this one is very syrup like it really ruins it. I won't be having this again.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast