El Jefe's Hefeweizen | South Street Brewery

Availability: Summer

Added by Todd on 06-10-2003

Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 11
4.08/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Served on-tap in a thin tapered weizen glass at South Street Brewery (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Hazy bright gold with solid 1-2 finger white-foamy head with good retention and bit of lacing at the top of the glass.

S: A little light in the aroma overall but still plenty of delicious banana and bubble gum aromas, low clove

T: Excellent weizen flavor with tangy wheat with fruity but moderate banana, mild bubblegum, and light herbal hop finish. Low phenol-clove profile is welcome. Minimal bitterness but lots of yeast character.

M: Creamy yet light in feel thanks to low ABV and good brewing. Carbonation is high as it should be.

O: I was very pleasantly surprised by this offering that they hide on their menu -- I will definitely be ordering this as a first beer or to go along with lemon desserts in future visits to South Street. This is one of their best beers and a great summer beer.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

On tap at the brewpub in July 2009.

Pours a cloudy yellow color with a slight white head and not too much lacing. Nose brings some fairly strong clove and spice notes. A moderate amount of banana. The taste is some slight wheat as well as clove, banana, and hints of bubblegum. Moderate body with good carbonation. Was a nice, drinkable brew after a long summer day.

The beginning of a day of entering backlogs!

A: A murky blonde fog... Quite a surprisingly creamy white head.

S: Quite a strong scent of clove on the nose. Nice wheat aromas and a creamy kinda sweetness.

T: Wow... Truly a German style - a nice, full flavour of banana and clove with almost a soft kiss of honey towards the finish.

M + D: A medium body, a bit slick, with just the slightest touch of residue felt on the back of the tongue on finish. Quite a pleasant surprise... I have traditionally found myself a little underwhelmed by offerings here... This has changed that opinion.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

This is my first review, so I hope it won't be awful. Anyway...

I was definitely surprised by this beer, especially since they have it on tap so infrequently. Not that this means its bad, but its good enough to be around all the time, if you ask me. Very very cloudy and golden, with a thin white head (probably lacking due to the lemon they added for me), with some thin lacing. Smelled strongly of cloves and banana. taste was almost overpowering with banana and a bit of cloves, it made me feel like I was getting my daily allowance of potassium, but I couldn't stop drinking it. Slightly dry mouthfeel and bitter aftertaste. Very drinkable and refreshing, I'd drink this every day if it were bottled. Very different from many wheat beers I've had, but in a very good way.

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

Part of sampler tray at the brew pub. This was my favorite beer of the sampler. Server as a cloudy orange color with slight white head. Smell is of cloves and corriander. Taste is large with cloves with a nice dryness in the background. Mouthfeel is nice and dry, more than I usually find with this style. A truly enjoyable drink.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

This beer was a hazy yellow color and formed a bubbly white head that left some nice lace as it subsided. An aroma of hops, clove and corinader. A flavor of hops, clove and corindar. A very refreshing finish. This is one of the best renditions of a German style hefe that I have seen a American brewer create. It really surprised me.

El Jefe's Hefeweizen from South Street Brewery