Golden Devil

3.4 | pDev: 7.06%
From:
HopCat

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 7
2.96/5  rDev -12.9%

A - Orangish, yellow colored beer with a bit of a white head that faded to some random spots.

S - Smells a strange combination of yeast and tropical fruit, particularly pineapple. Doesn't really mix well with the brett, which is overly prominent with the odd tropical fruit notes.

T - Don't really like this one a whole lot. The tropical fruit and brett combination doesn't work for me. The yeast adds another bit of kick to it that with distinct flavors that don't really work.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a bit of a light sugary feel to it. Dryish finish.

O - Not a beer I cared for. Average.

3.77/5  rDev +10.9%

Thanks to Bob (klipper) for sharing this rarity. Served in a Hill Farmstead glass.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam settles to a thin ring, leaving a few tiny spots of lace. Hazy orange-peach body.

S - Passion fruit and other tropical flavors, pineapple brett, grapefruit, some toasted grains and yeast.

T - Taste is quite similar - almost drinks like tropical fruit punch but with a bit of Belgian yeast and bready malts. There's a bit of medicinal character in the finish.

M - Medium body, pleasant moderate carbonation, juicy texture, dry finish.

D - I found this beer strangely enjoyable. Apparently there's green tea in here, but I didn't really pick it out - the brett claussenii flavors seem to have overtaken almost everything else. Still, I dug this significantly more than the Triumph Secret Weapon we had next to it.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks, Bob! Bottle into tulip.

A - Pours golden yellow color, white head, thin collar, wisps.

S - Funky, light tartness, bananas, light hops. The brett really takes over the there's a light Belgian yeast note in there too.

T - Belgian yeast, funk, and brett. Some light fruity sweetness and a hint of tartness. There's some nice complexity going on here, but I'm really not sure what to make of this beer. The alcohol is nice and subtle, and I would guess no where near 9%. Finish is sweet fruity yeast notes.

M - Light to medium body, good carbonation, dry finish.

O - I enjoyed my pour and that was about all I wanted from this one. It would be nice to see how this one develops down the road, but I think there was something like 60 bottles made.

Golden Devil from HopCat