Birra Normale | Birrificio Le Baladin

birreria.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

Added by stcules on 05-31-2013

4.16/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.48/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I purchased this bottle during an excursion to NYC during which I popped 'round at Eataly to see what they had in store for me (literally). I know that every bottle is a detour from The CANQuest (tm), but just as the cat was killed by its innate curiosity, mine drives me at times. C'est la guerre!

From the bottle: "Beer Non-Pasteurized 100% Italian Malt"; "The Amazingly Good Beer Made With Pure Italian Malt"; "Brewed in Italy according to tradition and with selected ingredients only: water form the Alps of Piedmont, barley malt, hops and yeast."; "Natural Beer It May Contain Sediment".

I Pop!ped the cap & having read that last bit, I went with a VERY gentle pour. You should have seen the foam come up, though! I could not tell whether it was angry at me or just did not recognize that I was being as gentle as possible. I ended up with three-plus fingers of puffy, foamy, rocky, bone-white head with great retention that resembled meringue. Color was a fabulous Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, prompting a visit from the Gelt Gang of Croesus, Midas & Mammon. Loads of carbonation bubbles were in evidence as I sat and watched the head slowly fall to a manageable level. Nose had a vinous, white wine sharpness. Mouthfeel was medium, but prickly from all of the carbonation. The taste was odd, not as sharp as the nose had caused me to gird myself for, but still vinous and even kind of cheesy. It was not bad, per se, just very different. I had no problem drinking it, but at the same, time, it was not an inexpensive bottle, either, so I probably would not return to it. Finish was semi-dry and I just could not shake the feeling that I had been drinking white wine. If nothing else, I am thankful that it was not sweet, since I really eschew that sort of thing. This would be nice with some crackers & sharp, aged cheese. Vinous.

3.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.55/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is slightly hazy yellow in color and has a moderate to high amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a two finger high white head that has excellent retention properties.
S: Moderate aromas of yeast are present in the nose along with notes of grainy malts.
T: The taste follows the smell and prominently features yeasty flavors, except that the malts aren't nearly as grainy and seem to be more pale. No hops are perceptible, but there are enough to mask any sweetness from being noticeable.
M: It feels just about medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer would probably be better as something paired with a meal than a standalone beer.

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

4.2/5  rDev +24.3%

3.3/5  rDev -2.4%

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

4.16/5  rDev +23.1%

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

2.97/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Orange color, white, fluffy, beautiful head. Strong carbonation.
In the smell malt, biscuit, cereals, light hop.
Malty taste, with well present biscuit notes, and some honey, too.
Malty, relatively full, a bit boring after a while.
Malt and cereals in the aftertaste, honey.
A bit too full, not a great drinkability.

Birra Normale from Birrificio Le Baladin