Belle Gigue | Microbrasserie Du Lac-Saint-Jean

Style: Belgian Dark Ale

Added by rodenbach99 on 02-22-2009

3.92/5  rDev +9.2%

3.28/5  rDev -8.6%

This beer pours with a decent head but little lacing and a pretty dark reddish-amber color with good clarity.

A little floral hops and yeast on the aroma along with a touch of butterscotch. The flavor is subdued, ending with a pronounced molasses sweetness. The mouthfeel is a bit thin for the style.

Not a bad beer, but the label is much more memorable than the drinking experience.

3.97/5  rDev +10.6%

A- Looked brown while pouring, but it's actually a dark amber. Very cloudy with a couple bubbles rising. Creamy meringue like head recedes as a thickish layer.

S- Fresh strawberry malt. A little coca cola, or some other soft drink like a nectar or some cream soda, I'm not sure. Alcohol. Belgian yeast and american hops. CO2.

T- Good. Spicy. A lighter Belgian dark ale mixed with a pale ale. A bit sour with a subtle yet persistent hoppy bitterness.

M- High, prickly carbonation and super active in-mouth foaming. Astringent with a dry finish.

D- Drinks good. I'd drink a couple, but wouldn't call this delicious.

Best one I've had from this brewery.

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

Bottle: Poured a cloudy amber color ale with a quite large foamy head with good retention and minimal acing. Aroma of lightly sweet malt with some caramel notes also noticeable. Taste is also dominated by sweet caramel malt with light fruity ester and some pretty subtle hops. Body is quite full with limited filtration and good carbonation with no sign of the alcohol. Better then I had expected but still lacking complexity to make this a beer I would buy more often.

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

Tasted January 3rd, 2009. The one I tasted was, I think, a special version for christmas 2008. Apparently more spices in this one than the regular one.

Here are my tasting notes:

The beer has an amber color and is foggy (hazy). Very nice looking beer. The smell presents some spicy notes, in fact I can't hardly smell other stuff than spices! Smell is in the beer style in my opinion. Not bad, not great. The taste is complex... Still hard for me to tell the spices. The mouthfeel is thin and light. Some carbonation and some metallic taste in this one. Not sure I would drink more than one.

From their 4 beers (at the time in 2009), not the best one. I still prefer the Boute Feu.

3.47/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

brown 500ml bottle with a very nice label. a bit expensive at 4,89$

A: orange hazy colour, nice head retention.
S: light caramel nose, some spices and malt.
T: somewhat sweet, some caramel,
M: round and medium bodied
D: easy drinking I would drink another, nice product. the best so far by this brewer.

Belle Gigue from Microbrasserie Du Lac-Saint-Jean