Shenandoah Millenium Ale / Sneaky Pete's Barleywine | Shenandoah Brewing Co.

Awaiting More Ratings
Shenandoah Millenium Ale / Sneaky Pete's BarleywineShenandoah Millenium Ale / Sneaky Pete's Barleywine

Shenandoah Brewing Co.
Virginia, United States
shenandoahbrewing.com

Style: American Barleywine

Added by hopsaplenty on 07-25-2003

Reviews by TheDM:
3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

This brew pours a very small head of mostly disappearing bubbles that left very little lacing. It had a nice hazy brown body and a strong aroma of alcohol. Its flavor also showed the alcohol and some spicey notes. It was a decent brew, but one you have to get used to.

3.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured it into the glass and noticed that it had practically no head. The color was a mahogany type hue.

Smells of sweet malt and grainy rye. The juniper took me awhile to find, but it's in there. There is also a slight yeasty flavor to the beer. Also, I find some floral, candy like sweetness in there. The finish reminds me of Worchestershire sauce with a little hops, but not really in a bad way. Late into the finish, I find an almost beef jerky like

The beer has a very slight carbonation; and a creamy, sinewy body.

Taste is of malt and a considerable amount of rye. A little juniper here and there and low hops. A very strange barley wine indeed. Late into the finish, I find an almost beef jerky like flavor lurking.

Poured a bottle of this ale into a pint glass at Dr. Dremo's, while staying in DC during dirtylou and my pilgrimmage to Dogfish Head.

2.6/5  rDev -27.2%

Contract brewed for Dr. Dremo's. Only served there. Served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear copper color topped by a creamy offwhite head. A head on a barleywine? Must be really young. Head dissipates to a film, but leaves no lacing.

Smell: Very prominent maple and caramel aromas with hints of brandy. No hops that I can detect, certainly none with high alpha content anyways.

Taste: Strong caramel flavor slowly giving way to a mild bitterness/sourness. Might be from hops, could be a malt of unknown provenance. Not a very complex flavor, especially in comparison to other barleywines I've head.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy, yet somehow vaguely light in character.

Drinkability: A wee bit cloying and lacking in complexity. They promised smooth, and they delivered on that account, but it's less like a barleywine and more like a drinkable malt likka. I'll skip this one.

3.44/5  rDev -3.6%

10/11/2004. I wish I could go back and taste this one again, but sadly can't. Pours a brown-reddish color, the head quickly fades to nothing. The aroma is alcoholic, fruity with some spiciness. Flavor consists of a strong dark fruit character, tangy and tart with a definite alcoholic presence with some caramel and maltiness. Very unique and definitely a sipper. I think I'd have much more of an appreciation for this now than I did when I first had it.

3.75/5  rDev +5%

Might be the wrong one - the brewery had this stored for $30 a six-pack and they let me try one. It was a dark copper color with ruby tints with almost no head whatsoever. A strong, spicy smell like caramel/honey (something sweet) and liquor, like bourbon or brandy. Minor hops but really a sugary, syrupy smell. There had to be some type of liquor in this when I tasted it, because it reminded me either of bourbon. There is spicy edge in this full-bodied beer in the middle, but it is rounded out with some caramel syrup (mabye honey again) for a smooth finish. Not too much in character though, and not hoppy at all. A little thick and somplistic in the barleywine department, and for the price I wouldn't BUY one (if they give me another free sample it is down the hatch no questions asked).

Shenandoah Millenium Ale / Sneaky Pete's Barleywine from Shenandoah Brewing Co.