1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Verich Gold | Ohio Brewing Company

ohiobrewing.com

Style: German Kölsch

None provided.

4.66/5  rDev 0%

a - pours a hazy golden hue; head is a bubbly swarm of white foam with medium lacing

s - malt and hops well balanced; hint of wheat

t - excellent array of hops with a malty finish

m - very enjoyable with medium carbonization

d - had three quick ones before it was unfortunately time to head out

This Kolsch has more flavor than GL's Dortmunder.

2.2/5  rDev 0%

From web site: Verich Gold
Awarded People's Choice Award at the Red Star Brewers Festival in Greensburg, Pennsylvania. The German city of Cologne is called Köln and beer from that city is called Kolsch, a top-fermented ale first made in 1254. This Kolsch is bone-dry with a soft malt flavor and very delicate hop bitterness. Our American-made cousin is clean tasting, refreshing and smooth.
O.G.: 12 Plato, IBUs: 21, ABV: 5%

On tap at Ohio Brewing Company/Damon's Grill in downtown Akron last night. Poured into a clean, clear mug glass. Review from notes.

A Basic Lager look really. If I didn't know better I would think that it looks a lot like a Bud. Not impressed. (Not because it looks like a Bud but because I am not impressed with how either Bud or Verich Gold look)

S Uninspiring basic lager smell to me. Some malts, some hops, almost timid smell that took no chances. I am aware that this is a Kolsch but I use the term lager since it is the closest taste that I can use to describe it.

T Poor. It is too thin, water. Like a Bud or maybe a bit more malt and hops than a Bud. Not good and very watery.

M Thin. Like water.

D Good but, just like a Bud, I will not explore its drinkability since I will not order this again.

Notes: A failed effort at a Kolsch in my opinion. Ohio Brewing Company has been open for about 6 months and so they are just getting started. This might be the first year round beer that I would replace if I were them. I would replace it with the seasonal Akron Doppel Alt right away.

Verich Gold from Ohio Brewing Company