Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Wit's End | Sweetwater Tavern & Brewery

Style: Witbier

Added by woodychandler on 08-05-2004

Reviews by Chaney:
3.57/5  rDev +1.4%

I had this on-tap at the Merrifield location.

Served in a pint glass.

A: Poured a cloudy, unfiltered, diluted orange juice color without much of a head to speak of. Kinda surprising actually.

S: Soft, understated coriander component along with a bit of orange juice and wheat.

T: Nice spice component, with all the ones from the nose, along with a dash of white pepper.

M: A bit thin and under carbonated for my taste, but still ok.

O: This was good, but ultimately forgettable.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

4.2/5  rDev +19.3%

I found this to be very pleasant. It was quite cloudy and very light on the tongue. It was a humid day when I visited and since I had walked a short distance, it struck me as very refreshing. The brewery's description mentioned that it was "spiced with Curacao, orange, and Coriander." The orange I can attest to, but as far as the C&C, I just do not know what they are supposed to impart in the beer. It was a very nice example of a wit and it was the perfect day to have one.

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

On tap at brewpub:
Pours about as white as I've seen a white ale (so really pale yellow). The glass was full, but a sheen of head remained. Medium thick white rim once I can agitate it.

Nose is a sweeter bread note, with maybe the slightest hint of banana (not quite, but a sweet neutral pulpy fruit, at least).

Taste starts as sweet, with a little more banana distinction. It is combined with a light bready note to form an odd light banana bread note. Carbonation is a tad more than needed, but the beer is medium light overall. The wheat is more distinctive by mid palate, and there's not a lot of it, but a little spice hits late. Through the mid to latter taste, I occasionally get the impression of tangerine or orange, but it's either faint or well-integrated that I can't say for certain.

A slightly sweet and fairly light beer to drink. Flavors are strong enough to add some flavor, but far from bold and challenging.

Wit's End from Sweetwater Tavern & Brewery