Ölvisholt Páskabjór 2009 | Ölvisholt Brugghús

Style: Weizenbock

Added by stulowitz on 04-12-2009

Reviews by stulowitz:
3.24/5  rDev 0%

The Easter beer from Ölvisholt brewery 2009.

A - Hazy orange amber with thick off-white head that dissipates slowly.

Sm - Citrusy hops, freshly cut grass, spicy summery aromas and caramel.

T - Starts with a soft breadyness that turns into a hoppy splash of citrus, notably orange, with some maltyness fighting for dear life. Sort of both overwhealming and BLEH at the same time! Ends in an alcoholic warmth and lingering bitterness.

M - Medium-full body and well carbonated.

D - I find this to be an interesting beer, mostly because I´m confused. It´s not very drinkable by itself, but works well paired with rustic food or white mold cheeses.

I don´t mean to be a style guideline nazi...BUT, I am a firm believer in that if a brewery prints on its bottle that a beer is in a certain style, it should be an interpretation of a well established model. I don´t care if breweries choose to brew outside of style guidelines and whatnot, I, infact, find that intriguing and enjoyable, but in that case they should make up a new style, or not list it as a certain style, or whatever.
This beer is not a weizenbock. Sure, it´s a strong beer, with a substantial amount of wheat malt. But that doesn´t make it a weizenbock, at least in my mind. Where´s the clove and banana I ask?

Ölvisholt Páskabjór 2009 from Ölvisholt Brugghús