Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stout | Wisconsin Dells Brewing Co.

4.06/5
Exceptional

Wisconsin Dells Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
dellsbrewing.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Availability: Spring

Added by Bighuge on 04-22-2005

4/5  rDev 0%

A good friend of mine purchased a growler of their Stout, we enjoyed a few glasses from a pair of my Bell's Wheat Beer Sconces...

Appearance - Poured nearly 2 fingers of rich mocha brown head, which left nicely webbed lacing down the entire glass. Color of the beer is a translucent deep mahogany brown red, looks nearly black from a short distance.

Smell - I immediately get loads of sweet roasted aromas, freshly baked pumpernickel, molasses and fresh brewed french roast coffee, very thick and rich aromas.

Taste - Wonderful dark roasted grains and malts begin, sweet molasses and a touch of some dark fig and burnt toffee sweetness, hints of dark roast coffee and semi-sweet dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel - Medium to full, mouthcoating, very smooth and creamy with lower carb, allowing for more of a rich and silky mouthfeel, so smooth! This goes down very easily, and I find myself holding each sip for a few moments to coat the mouth, and savor all of the rich roasted flavors here.

Overall - I am blown away by how well balanced and complex this is! The roasted flavors are so rich and complex, I find myself contemplative of each sip. Drink this one slowly, as the flavors are enhanced as this warms. The progression here is so nice, I highly recommend picking up a growler if you're in the area, I think you will be very pleasantly surprised.

4.12/5  rDev 0%

1/2 gallon growler.

Very black body. Very brown head. Moderate amounts of lace left on the glass. Nice dry roasted barley scent to it. Milky chocolate as well. Some burnt/charred tones and a little smoke too. All in all, a top notch aroma. This stout is a little sweeter than your typical dry stout, but I believe that was the intention with this brew. So I heard. It's got a dry roasted malt taste with a bit of coffee bean in the mix. But also some ghostly lactic sweetness. The mix works fine. It's an enjoyable stout.

Stout from Wisconsin Dells Brewing Co.