Oak Aged Stout | Wisconsin Dells Brewing Co.

Awaiting More Ratings

Wisconsin Dells Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
dellsbrewing.com

Style: American Stout

Added by wisrarebeer on 01-31-2010

4.35/5  rDev 0%

My wife & I shared a pitcher of this brew at the brewpub.

A: Pours from the pitcher into my pint glass with no head, only a small layer of tan foam around the glass. Color is very dark brown, almost black if held to the light.

S: Some roasted barley notes in the nose, as well as vanilla & caramel. Aroma is lighter than expected, but still very pleasant combinations. Mild woodsy aroma as well.

T: Starts with dark chocolate & vanilla flavors, then finishes with a slightly bitter, burnt chocolate, & woodsy flavor.

M/D: Oh, so smooth. It coats your tongue, but lingers only so long to let you fully enjoy it. No harsh after-taste, even with a slight alcohol burn as it goes down. Very drinkable. My wife & I finished the pitcher in about an hour & felt no ill effects.

I was tempted to buy a growler, but didn't because we had a long drive ahead of us. I'm kicking myself now.

4.42/5  rDev 0%

A great big thanks to Peter for purchasing a growler for his brother-in-law!

From the brewery's Web site:
Oak Aged Stout

This is an American style Stout, which was aged on American White Oak after its fermentation. The smell of oak, coffee & roasted barley dominate the aroma of this full-bodied opaque black ale. The flavor of roasted coffee beans, dark bittersweet chocolate & rich caramel make up this hoppy stout served in an English pint.

A: opaque, jet-black
S: great nose, roasted malt with nice balance of oakiness (toffee, vanilla, etc.)
T: very, very good - good balance of hops and malt - great roasted burnt malt taste with exceptional balance of oak - not overpowering but done just right
M: easy drinking - nice to have a non-RIS oak-aged stout
D: very drinkable, a winner

Oak Aged Stout from Wisconsin Dells Brewing Co.