Betty's Breakfast Stout | Wisconsin Dells Brewing Co.

Awaiting More Ratings

Wisconsin Dells Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
dellsbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by wisrarebeer on 04-05-2010

3.73/5  rDev +17.3%

This beer was good I had a glass when I was out to dinner, it was lacking in color to me. What i was tasting in the beer wasn't coming through in the nose. I would try another breakfast stout before I went back to betty s however I wouldn't rule this stout out.

3.85/5  rDev +21.1%

I'm going to offer a contrasting review of this one - i actually rather enjoyed this for a moosejaw offering

cellphone notes

appearance: tap served in a standard pint, very dark eboy body, light chocolate cap

smell: rich brewed coffee, dark chocolate, lactose

taste: thick and muddy, but a well-pronounced coffee character and a lot of chocolate. The sweetness is a bit cloying, but this one has more good points than bad points

mouthfeel: overly sweet, abv not an issue though

drinkability: ok

2.56/5  rDev -19.5%

A: Very dark and quite opaque. I saw this as the best feature of the beer.

S: Not bad. Strong of coffee scent, no hops scent, and a slight but barely noticeable scent of alcohol.

T: Sweet at first, then strong of coffee flavor. Hops flavor is low. Overall, the flavor is quite strong, but not all too pleasant. I really didn't like the initial sweetness of the beer; definitely the biggest drawback. And the coffee taste is way too strong. Needs to be toned down quite a bit.

M: Smooth and thick (a bit too thick). Low on carbonation. Another good aspect of the beer.

D: Not so great. The sweetness is just kind of hard to handle. Despite it's smoothness, it just doesn't go down all that easily.

Overall: I've been to Moosejaw before and the food is great. But Betty's Black Ale isn't. It's sweet, too strong on the coffee flavor, and may actually be a bit too thick (if that's possible!). It is pleasant to look at and even smell, two aspects that I deem as its best characteristics. If you're ever in the Dells and visit Moosejaw, I recommend asking for a small sample from the bartender and moving on. Sorry Moosejaw...

2.71/5  rDev -14.8%

Purchased at the brewery by my brother-in-law Peter. Thanks bro! Nothing on the Web site or on-line about the beer or style so I'm taking a guess that it's a stout because it has an incredible coffee nose and taste.

A: opaque, black
S: intense coffee, coffee nose masks everything else
T: taste is in-your-face coffee, well-made but coffee dominates with very little malt balance, a somewhat bitter finish but I don't know if it's the coffee or hops, a bit cloying in the finish, I'm not a coffee drinker but like coffee-flavored beers, this one's a bit too much however
M: decent mouthfeel but coffee flavor makes it chalky and a bit astringent
D: OK but can't enough in quantity because of coffee

Betty's Breakfast Stout from Wisconsin Dells Brewing Co.