Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by jakester on 07-20-2005

Reviews: 8 | Ratings: 17
4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

A - Beautiful cloudy yellow. Very minimal head.

S - The smell is about 40/60 banana and clove. Some sweet bubblegum esters and warm bready malt are there to round it out.

T - Warm bready malt hits you first, followed by a mix of strong clove, banana, tartness, and a little sweetness in about as perfect a hefe balance as you can ask for. The clove, which was a little stronger than the other elements throughout, explodes on the swallow. Nice and clean finish.

M - They nailed the mouthfeel here. Very refreshing.

O - Great balance. Probably one of the best Hefe's I've had. Definitely the best clove-heavy one. Normally I prefer warmer fermented ones, but they may have converted me.

3.53/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A cloudy golden pour that leaves a nice wheaty head, pretty brew.

The smell and taste are certainly hefe but not quite as hefe as I would like, the bastard that I am. The ferment was a bit too cold for me, a little too clovey, definitely dynamic, but I could use some bananna as well, to balance things out. The yeast flavors and esters are definitely what I was looking for, and I found it a bit one-dimensional.

The mouthfeel is creamy and crisp as only a hefe can be, but far from perfect.

I could drink quite a few of these, but Hopsnort is the tap right next to it, so I feel I could do better with a different order.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Had lunch at the brewpub and had two of their beers. The hefe was excellent. Served in a Pilsner glass. Everything you would expect for a hefeweizen. Cloudy straw gold color. Lots of carbonation Big bubbly white head and some lacing.

Smell had all the bells and whistles: Cloves, citrus, astringency, bananas and bubblegum. Taste was the same. No orange slice with this beer, perhaps started a bit too cold for the true beer geek, but I warmed it up a bit with my hands.

Mouthfeel ws just right, crisp, astringent and rich. Drinkability is excellent. I just had time for a quick stop for lunch. I could have sat around all afternoon enjoying these!!!

I'm sure that the top 2 or three German hefe's on tap would beat this one, but for a trip to the Outer Banks...this is a great treat to look forward to. Stay away from the samples, get a nice big glass and enjoy!!!

3.97/5  rDev -2.9%

The beer came a cloudy pale gold with a two-finger head. The smell was banana and clove and spices. The taste was right on with what a hefe should be with some sweet banana that's followed up by a bit of citrus and some spices. The mouthfeel slightly thick with some crisp carbonation. A good version of the style.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Had this on the way up to Corolla. Aroma was right on for style. Lots of banana and clove. Nice white head that stayed around for a long time. Pretty hazy appearance. Nice wheat flavor that went well with my lunch. I preferred this over the lemongrass wheat. Nice finish.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: Opaque pale golden hue under a short, one finger white head.

Smell: Banana, clove & other spices, floral hops.

Taste: Pronounced banana flavor up front, and the clove/general spice opens up a little. The hop bouquet finishes.

Mouthfeel: Sweet first, then a little spicy, and the hops provide a nice, palate cleansing dry finish.

Drinkability: This was a tasty Hef; it had the most pronounced banana taste I've ever had in a beer. I could definitely deal with a few of these in one evening.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

The beer arrived on the table hazy pale golden yellow with a white and frothy long lasting head which worked well to lace the glass.

The aroma was strong banana with a light clove spice presence. Also present was a well done wheat aromatic.

The flavor was a nice wheat coupled with a strong estery banana and a nice phenolic clove spice. The wheat still shined through the esters and phenols and there was just a slight hint of vanilla in the flavor.

The finish was dry with a nice lasting banana flavor into the aftertaste. The body was above medium and well done.

5.2% ABV according to the current description.

4.24/5  rDev +3.7%

I had this on tap at the brewery

Arrives a (too cold!) very cloudy yellow with a pinkish tint. No head!! A slice of lemon wedged on the rim of the glass. I wish these people would ASK if I wanted lemon with that! (NO, I DON'T!) Pretty strong carbonation observed. No lacing. (obviously)

Aroma is good banana/clove, bready/yeasty wheat, a hint of lemon; very pleasant. Spicy and fruity.

The first flavor is tartness, then bananas and cloves. A very good flavor of wheat and yeast is next, with a long aftertaste of lemons. Still, plenty of sweetness to balance this. Really well done.

Mouthfeel is tart, with a strong tingle on the tongue from carbonation. Very refreshing, clean and crisp. Finish is tart/sweet.

I would recommend this to anyone who likes hefe's. I really wish they would ask me if I wanted a slice of lemon, but beside that distraction, this is excellent.

Hugh Hefeweize V from Outer Banks Brewing Station
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.