Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

The Third Degree | Outer Banks Brewing Station

Style: Tripel

Added by deanhead on 08-05-2008

Reviews by deanhead:
3.49/5  rDev 0%

This is the Dog House Tripel that has been aged in Jack Daniels Bourbon barrels.

Growler purchased directly from the brewery. A bit pricey for a growler.

This beer poured a nice goloden color, efvervescent, and bubbly but head reduced to virtually nothing.

This beer smells like a wet dog. There is a pronounced whiskey-vanilla scent to this beer as well. I'm not sure I like the whiskey aroma.

There is a belgian candi like candy sweetness to this beer. Notes of biscuit and a slight astringency to the finish. Whiskey like aftertaste.

With plenty of sugar this beer is deceptive with it's 9.5% ABV.

Not sure if I'm sold on the flavor of the whiskey at the end. While I did enjoy this beer, I wouldn't go out of my way to search it out.

3.98/5  rDev 0%

This beer is dominated by cloves, if you are unsure of the "clove" flavor that some belgian yeast adds, this is the beer to show you.

She pours a crystal clear pale as straw yellow with minimal head.

The smell and taste are both dominated by clove. Definitely a good essence for a tripel, but this is a beer that I would have personally fermented quite a bit warmer in order to capture the true essence of the yeast, but this is definitely a nice beer.

The mouthfeel is quite impressive in that it hides the alcohol better than a ray charles hide and seek game. Very nice, with high carbonation.

I could drink this all night long and then marry a donkey in tijuana. Check it out.

The Third Degree from Outer Banks Brewing Station