(512) Cab Tripel

Very Good
Notes:
Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 22
3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Earlier in the evening had an excellent tripel, so this beer’s review may suffer just a bit in comparison.

Had it on draft. Slightly cloudy yellow, decent head and lacing. Sweet smell and taste, a bit too sweet. Good over all fragrance, floral and lemony. Taste is fruity with limes, pears and apples. Overall, pretty good!

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

On-draught @ the brewery.

Jammy Cabernet wine notes are evident, blending conspicuously into the flavour profile and partially eclipsing the delicate Belgian yeast flavour the beer features. Hints of pear. Belgian pale malt.

ABV is well disguised, unlike many beers in the style.

Very drinkable, showcasing Cabernet rather well, though I don't know that the base tripel is all that impressive itself. Still, I wouldn't have thought Cabernet would play so well in a tripel. Definitely a beer I'd buy by the sixer if offered at a $12-13 price.

High B- / WORTHY

3.77/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

On tap at D&T Drive Inn, Houston TX

A: Pours a copper/amber/reddish color. A two finger white head forms with good retention initially, and a bit of spotty lace.
S: Big buttery aromas up front. Some fruity esters linger. Pears, apples, along with some light wood. Not bad, the buttery notes through me off a bit. Though I think that is from the wine barrel.
T: Again, a substantial buttery character up front. I am not that well verst in Cab, let alone wines in general. Though, considering I have never encountered buttery diacetyl in regular 512 Tripel, I am thinking this comes from the wine barrel. Fruity esters come next. Pears and apples are apparent, along with a slight tartness and acidity.
M/D: A medium body that is effervescent and super crisp. I love the carbonation here. Appropriately weighty as well. Easy to drink, even with the buttery character. Something I can come back to with ease.

I am almost positive the buttery character comes from the wine barrel. It is not so much a detriment, just not what I was really expecting. Though once I get use to it, the esters come out and are great. I think the alcohol is well hidden as well. Overall, very interesting, and something I will come back to. If not a complete barrel aged masterpiece, enjoyable for what it is.

4.31/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wow! Looks reddish Amber, smells like a a open bottle of bourbon, tastes of bourbon mixes with cab ann some sourness. All three elements come together in the feel/ aftertaste. Overall this beer makes a unusually complex and strong statement! Well done 512.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

On tap at the Meddlesome Moth Anniversary week. The only beer I got two pours of.

The beer is a cloudy orange with a small white head that leaves splotchy lacing.

Very fruity on the nose. Lemon, orange, apple, and wine character.

The taste is awesome. Very fruity and full of Cabernet as well. Very well balanced between the tripel and wine.

Super smooth medium bodied beer. Slightly prickly carbonation.

I am impressed by this for sure. Wine aging a tripel is genius.

(512) Cab Tripel from (512) Brewing Company