Abbey Wheat | Big Al Brewing

Style: Belgian Dark Ale

Added by RedDiamond on 02-02-2009

Reviews by RedDiamond:
3.87/5  rDev 0%

I began drinking this ale somewhat absently and resolved that I was drinking a wit before turning my focus on the ale's appearance and discovering a rusty, auburn beer bearing no resemblance to a wit at all. A sharp spice mix of coriander, clove, and peppery yeast character dominates the flavor along with a wheaten dryness. The nose similarly reflects a Belgian spice rack with a cloven air derived from an Abbey yeast strain.

Abbey Wheat is Big Al's flagship ale and borrows from several traditions to produce a highly turbid beer with indifferent head and lace. Bittering is artfully restrained. But the total presentation is one of sharp, targeted complexity whose informality keeps it drinkable and smart.

3.08/5  rDev 0%

Poured into sturdy Chalice. Poured with minimal, quickly dissipating head that leaves very light lacing. Very low carbonation. A medium reddish-brown color. Not much aroma, I didn't even get that spicy yeast smell that is typical for Belgian-style brews. As the beer warmed the aroma became slightly more noticeable. There was more of the anticipated flavors in the taste than the aroma had led me to expect. Very smooth, full body. Very drinkable, I could see myself drinking several of these during those first warm spring days, when you start looking for a little more refreshment in a beer. Overall a very nice brew, I will have this again.

Abbey Wheat from Big Al Brewing