4 Pines Indian Summer Pale Ale

4 Pines Indian Summer Pale Ale4 Pines Indian Summer Pale Ale
Notes:
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 7
2.45/5  rDev -20.5%

This is a good tasting light beer; however, I cannot get over the smell. There is a strong note in the smell reminiscent of vomit. I assume it must be the hops. It does not come through in the taste however. I bought a 4 pack and will drink the rest out of the can, rather than pouring in a glass, to hopefully avoid the smell.

3.32/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Very light... Lager ish looking.. Head fades quickly. Aromas are all stone fruit, mango, peach, and the flavour is the same but more lightweight.
It's really made for smashing down methinks, and I really enjoyed the one I had last night with company ( ie not thinking about it) and this one less so because I am.

There's a moral there somewhere....

3.24/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well it’s that time of the week again and boy do I have a treat for you (i.e. me!): 2 x 4 Pines reviews! I know, I know, I said I was only doing one review a week, etcetera and so forth, but I thought that seeing as how I had two 4 Pines beers to review I would indulge myself. So first up we have 4 Pines Indian Summer Pale Ale [ha, ha, I get it, very funny 4 Pines] which is hopefully not one of those crappy “it’s summer so let’s water down our beer” affairs. Hey I’m all for a light flavoured brew on occasion [very funny Doc!] but if this is the summer of anything in Australia 2016 seems to be the summer of crappy watered down “Summer Ales” - bring on the Russian Imperial Stouts already!

Poured from a 375ml can into a nonic pint.

A: Hazed pale straw yellow body with a bold 2 cm white sea foam head that soon drops back to a frankly dismal patch of bubbles on top... quite possibly the most disappointing head I’ve ever witnessed - lucky I weight my ‘A’ score more on the body colour. 5/10.

S: Quite peachy, feels like every Aussie brewer is cribbing off Stone & Wood this summer, with notes of citrus and a hint of mango. Would be pretty impressive if it hadn’t already been done by S&W Pacific Ale... still we can’t really blame brewers for copying one of the best Australian beers can we now? [yes, we can]. 7/10.

T: At least S&W PA has a bit of flavour going on - this however is soda water with a hint of peach/lemon/mango hop characters - far too muted, even for a Summer Ale. Finish is clean and dry with a touch of grain in the aftertaste. If only 4 Pines had the balls to give it a bit more in the flavour department - the promise of a decent beer is hiding right there in the aroma. 6/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with a light, almost flat, carbonation - nothing out of the ordinary here. 7/10.

D: Look I get what 4 Pines were trying to do here, I really do, but after the avalanche of Summer Ales we’ve had over here enough is quite becoming enough for me and I just want brewers to get back to their winter catalogue. “What are you talking about Doc, there hasn’t been a deluge of Summer Ales lately!” - well here’s a small list of the breweries doing them this year: James Squire, Mountain Goat, Fortitude Valley, Little Creatures, Nail, and now 4 Pines - I’ve had it with summer! (beers). 7/10.

Food match: Fish and chips with salt & vinegar down by the wharf.

4 Pines Indian Summer Pale Ale from 4 Pines Brewing Company